Thread: Scales/Chords for transposed instruments

Default Scales/Chords for transposed instruments

Hello
    I play the tenor sax and it's transposed to Bb.
    When I see the suggested scales/chords they're always in Concert key.
    I understand that a piano is in concert key, but as I use iRealB & iRealPro for my practice sessions, it would make sense to have a yes/no setting in case we want to see the chords/scales in our transposed key.

Thanks.

Stelios

Please compare the chord chart and the shown chord ... That is the problem i want to pinpoint ... that the chord helper despite having the app globally transposed to Bb, it still shows everything in concert key.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-26-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Link to dog pics removed

Default Concert pitch chords / Transposed pitch impro suggestions

Hello,

It could be useful for multi-instumentists, and multiple instrumentists, to separate the chords pitch from the scale suggestions pitch :

A guitarist wants to learn the actual chords of a song, for example C Am F G.
    A tenor sax would want suggestions for improvisation in D Bm G A.

This particular saxophonist does not care at all that the guitarist calls the chords C Am F G, not any more than the guitarist minds that the saxophonist calls them D Bm G A.

It could therefore be usegful to make one instance of the app help an accompanist and a transposing soloist both at the same time, by simply showing the chords in concert pitch, and the impro suggestions in transposed pitch. (or for a multi-instrumentist to learn the song once).

Of course you'll object that a real jazz cat learns the song in all 12 keys on every instrument they play, but not all of us are professionals, ... sadly and this modification is pretty benign, it's just about creating a new key/pitch variable if it does not already exist :

one for the chords, one for the scales

to modify the chord and scales code to use the old/new key variable, which is mostly a search&replace operation, and lastly to add a checkbox to enable that possibility, which shouldn't be too hard for the people who already programmed this great and complex app

Best regards!

Although not what you want, you can change the Font to guitar or piano. Then with global transpose set to the sax key, it will show the chord/scales in the sax chords. It is a very odd setting and can be confusing for any beginner if they inadvertently create it; and does not show the chords for the concert instrument.
    I would think most would opt for separate devices for each player to show exactly what they require* or use a split screen (tablet) showing a PDF of the chart on one side (or print out a PDF!)

(unfortunately there is currently no way to sync the tempo and playback of one device to another if you want each measure to highlight as it plays on each device)