Thread: Number Notation in key other than C, Roman numerals

Post Number Notation in key other than C, Roman numerals

I'd like to join the chorus of accolades for ireal b on Mac OS. I was using Band in a Box and this is like a breath of fresh air. Light, fast exactly what's needed without a lot of extra baggage, and much less ugly!

I was glad to see number notation (representing chord degrees), but disappointed that it played back in only in C Maj. E.g., the tune is in Ab maj, switch to number notation, playback is now in C maj. Would it be realistic to hope to see that work as I expected? Ab is 1, and plays back in Ab?

Also, will roman numerals be available in the future, that would be really nice since I use roman numerals in my teaching, and they are standard for a lot of folks.

Thanks for a great program!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInChicago View Post
    ... but disappointed that it played back in only in C Maj. E.g., the tune is in Ab maj, switch to number notation, playback is now in C maj.
    Also, will roman numerals be available in the future, ...
    Hello Steve,
    In Preferences, change Global transposition to Numbers (in iOS devices, this is in Settings.) Then use the transpose button in song view to change the playback key - obviously the numbers do not change when you do this.
    No plans for roman numerals - at least at the moment (yes I am used to them also, classical, working out SATB etc.) We decided on introducing Nashville for this latest version (Mac v2, iOS v4).
    Thanks for your thoughts and enthusiasm.

Great! I did not get that when I saw Global Transpose. Thanks.

I just noticed a little workaround... with global transpose set to any other than number notation, if you change the song key to number while in play, playback does not get transposed. (until you hit replay) Please don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    [...]
    No plans for roman numerals - at least at the moment (yes I am used to them also, classical, working out SATB etc.) We decided on introducing Nashville for this latest version (Mac v2, iOS v4).
    May I strongly request roman numerals- it is easier make out which is the root and which is the quality when the root is in roman and the quality and/or extension is in arabic. Especially in cases like, b77 (I do imagine they are harder to implement due to the fact that there are more characters needed per chord... e.g., bVII7)
    Last edited by SteveInChicago; 07-27-2011 at 11:21 AM.

...I do imagine they are harder to implement due to the fact that there are more characters needed per chord... e.g., bVII7)
    yes sometimes we run out of horizontal space in the measure (beat) for the more complex chord symbols (#9b13 etc.)
    (Note: there is our Normal and Small size for chords but this often does not help either!)

I just noticed a little workaround... with global transpose set to any other than number notation, if you change the song key to number while in play, playback does not get transposed. (until you hit replay) Please don't fix it!
    May I strongly request roman numerals- it is easier make out which is the root and which is the quality when the root is in roman and the quality and/or extension is in arabic. Especially in cases like, b77 (I do imagine they are harder to implement due to the fact that there are more characters needed per chord... e.g., bVII7)
    I prefer the regular numbers Nashville style. As a dyslexic I'm always mixing up iv and vi. I find 4m and 6m much easier to read.

What if I want to use number notation AND set for Bb instrument? And also have the option to transpose to any key? Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by tjeffg View Post
    What if I want to use number notation AND set for Bb instrument? And also have the option to transpose to any key? Is this possible?
    There are only two keys - one is concert key (the key the player uses, the key you set in song view) and the other is the one you are looking at.
    If you have a non-transposing instrument the chart is in the same key as it is playing and for transposing instruments you need the chart in another key.

But Nashville numbers works according to the key you are thinking in your head - so it cannot also be in a key for a Bb instrument (or any other.) You just think in the required key depending on your instrument, which is applied to the numbers you are looking at.
    In Preferences (Settings) is global transpose where you choose either your transposing instrument, concert key or Nashville - you can only choose one option. This is for the chart you view, not the player key.

The key you set in Song view is concert key (the playback key) where the chart will display in a key taking into account the global transpose setting as described above.
    (If set to Nashville numbers it will play in the default key of the song.)

Where you want to view in Nashville numbers but set the key for a song, use global transpose in Prefs set to Nashville. Then in song view, set its key - this will be concert key, so you will need to think in your transposing instrument's key while looking at the numbers. For your Bb instrument, this will be a whole step (a major second) up from the key you have set for the song.

- to answer the question, set Nashville in Prefs, set the song to any key you desire (concert key), press Play, think in your Bb key while reading from the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    No plans for roman numerals - at least at the moment

This web page can display Roman numerals from an iReal b song.

http://normanschmidt.net/mehegan

John Mehegan style roman numerals are used from his Jazz Improvisation Series.
    Last edited by Norman; 03-30-2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: typo