Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature requests

Default Ability to ignore repeats during Playback

This may already have been asked for, but I'd like to see a switch we could use to ignore repeats on Playback. It would help when checking just the sound of an arrangement. Finale can do this, for example; it's quite useful.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 11-26-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Default Ability to post a playlist without posting the "individual songs" in it.

I'd also like the ability to choose to post a playlist to the Forum without also separately posting each individual song in that playlist. For example, a playlist of exercises and particular tune arrangements from a oertain method book. Someone who owns the book would want all of them amyway; if you don't own the book, you wouldn't want any of them. It keeps my posts a lot shorter, and the Forum less cluttered, when I do this, but it's quite a little project presently.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 11-26-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Default Love the New Styles

Just wanted to say I think the new styles (and tweaks on the old styles) are wonderful. Happy I'll have the trad/N.O. styles when Mardi Gras rolls around (love the tuba 'n' banjo!). Blue Note sounds great and is a much-needed alternative to using a Latin style on "boogaloo" material. I also find myself switching many swing tunes to Medium Up Swing 2 (the new ride cymbal is excellent) or to the more laid-back Guitar Trio and Doo Doo Cats settings (although I have to say, during my 50 years playing jazz I've never heard the term "doo doo cats"). Lastly, I can't thank you enough for the drumstick count-in option and volume control. Going through all my old charts to make adjustments will take some time, but with these new styles it's certainly worth the effort.
    Oh, and since this is the "Future Requests" thread, I'll request a Western Swing style.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

I want to ditto the post above, especially with regard to the new Styles and drumsticks clicks, particularly on 2-4. And I still can't get over how Massimo's bass lines always seem to work. Terrific! Only thing is, iReal Pro should come with an addiction warning. I find myself inventing projects for it, when I should be shedding with my instrument. 😊

Default Bass note alone in an Intro.

The ability to Playback an invisible chord in the first measure without a preceding chord, just to get the bass note. Recently, I've needed a simple "boom-cha" intro several times.

Alternatively, the ability to enter and Playback "N.C./B" just to get that B bass note alone, which can't be entered now.

Of course, if anyone knows a workaround for this, I'd sure appreciate knowing it. Thanks.

EDIT: Just discovered that the invisible chord feature W/C in iRP already can play just the bass note (in these examples C) without also replaying the most recent chord if you put a period between the W and the / like this: W./C

What shows on the chart is not noticeably different from what you see with the usual W/C. You need only one N.C. or an actual chord at the beginning of the Intro. Only drawback is a small one: When you start Playback you get an initial ERROR message that you remove by tapping OK.

Anatevka Intro - Hal Leonard HL00359861 (1983, but in reprint) pp.49-52
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 02-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    The ability to Playback an invisible chord in the first measure without a preceding chord, just to get the bass note. Recently, I've needed a simple "boom-cha" intro several times, as in:
    Anatevka Intro - Hal Leonard HL00359861 pp.49-52

Alternatively, the ability to enter and Playback "N.C./B" just to get that B bass note alone, which can't be entered now.

Of course, if anyone knows a workaround for this, I'd sure appreciate knowing it. Thanks.
    I thought by dividing one measure into two and then doubling the tempo but that didn't work.
    This failedAnatevka Intro - Hal Leonard HL00359861 (1983, but in reprint) pp.49-52

I've never used the invisible root before.
    Does somebody have an example of how it's used?
    It would be a cool feature to be able to have any chord be bass only. (or any other instrument)
    Basically to mute a part for a specific measure.
    That would be a pretty advanced feature.
    Funny how the play-along feature has advanced.
    Most of my friends and associates just use the chart feature.

This may already have been asked for, but I'd like to see a switch we could use to ignore repeats on Playback. It would help when checking just the sound of an arrangement. Finale can do this, for example; it's quite useful.
    Hi
    I can see where in certain situations like where you have a 32 bar A section and you want to here the transition to the B section it would be nice to here the transition without listening to the whole A section.
    I think I'd just remove the repeat in edit mode and check itv there then put it back in.

Along the same lines , I wish there was a way to check a second ending transition.
    Any solution would probably be too complicated to implement.

I'd also like the ability to choose to post a playlist to the Forum without also separately posting each individual song in that playlist. For example, a playlist of exercises and particular tune arrangements from a oertain method book. Someone who owns the book would want all of them amyway; if you don't own the book, you wouldn't want any of them. It keeps my posts a lot shorter, and the Forum less cluttered, when I do this, but it's quite a little project presently.
    I don't understand this question.?
    I love the bass books you've posted as they are.
    fyi
    I have some of the actual books and The exercises are still interesting at a certain level without the books.
    I bought the Magnussen book. It's okay but it's mostly for electric players(despite the cover) >the early exercises are extremely difficult for the upright requiring thumb position.
    I am using it though to learn the bass guitar and the tabs are useful for that.

Of all the books you've done are there any that are geared more for the upright bass?
    When I was a beginner I could have really used tabs or fingerings in the books I had.
    The double bass community seems to think you have to figure them out yourself or pay somebody to show you.

"Of all the books you've done are there any that are geared more for the upright bass?"

I'll take another look at my books with that question in mind. I play an unusual fretless upright, but it's tuned like a double bass, so I identify with that community. But you really do figure out your own fingerings, depending on, e. g., which F you want, where you're coming from and where you're going next.

The ability to Playback an invisible chord in the first measure without a preceding chord, just to get the bass note. Recently, I've needed a simple "boom-cha" intro several times, as in:
    Anatevka Intro - Hal Leonard HL00359861 pp.49-52

Try using a variation of this drums-only section to bring in the intro:

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...6605#post16605
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Interesting, DaleMac! Using your suggestion, I've come up with this:

Anatevka Intro 1 - Hal Leonard HL00359861 (1983, but in reprint) pp.49-52

It still has the problem of the Drum playing in the opening beat of the N.C. measure, but the team is aware of that problem and will fix, I understand. Also, I had to set it up with 4 repeats of one measure using a close repeat bracket because without the close repeat bracket it would sound the next invisible chord unless I put an N.C. in the fourth beat of each preceding bar, and doing that artificially cut off the chord in the third beat. This is the best workaround so far. Thanks!
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 12-12-2014 at 07:40 PM.