Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature requests

Default Automatic Transposition During Playback

As a jazz musician, when learning a new song, once I think I have got it in the original key I like to run it through all keys in order to really make sure I understand the changes. It would be really helpful if there were a facility on the playback menu to allow automatic transposition of the chords on each successive chorus.

It would be useful to be able to specify:

(i) How many times each chorus should be played before transposing to the next key (say in the range 1 to 3). This is to give a little time to 'get it' when running through each new key.

(ii) The transposition interval for each chorus. In order to ensure visiting all keys this could be restricted to +/- a semitone or +/- a perfect fourth. However it may be more flexible to allow any interval to be specified.

Default Rests, Pushes, Holds, and Fills

I know this has probably been talked about before, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere in the forums.

I'd like to be able to add "pushes" and "rests" to chords. This is a feature in Band in a Box which I use frequently. Pushes allow me to specify that a chord should be played a bit before the beat on which it is entered. Rests allow me to rest the entire band or just specific instruments. These two things allow me to use BIAB for backing tracks for tunes such as "Speak No Evil". Holds allow me to have the rhythm section hold a chord out rather than "comp" on it. Holds on the piano part (for instance), along with pushes would allow me to specify the opening piano riff for "Killer Joe". Fills allow me to specify a specific bar for a drum fill to lead into (they're not always on 4 bar boundaries).

Let me say that the above is just the icing on the cake. iRealb has allowed me to do jazz gigs on my sax with just my iPad (for the sheet music), and my iPhone (for the backing tracks using iRealb). That's a lot nicer than dealing with a computer, and a couple of MIDI synths!!! The enhancements here would just allow me to play MORE stuff. What I can play now sounds fantastic!

Thanks for a wonderful product!!! Best thing I've bought for my iDevices so far!!!!

Specifically in BIAB, entries look like this:

^C7 (the ^ indicates a push)
    C7... (the ... indicates to hold the chord)
    C7...db (the chord is held, except on the drums and bass)
    C7. (the single . indicates a break. The chord is struck, but not comped
    C7.db (the .db indicates a break for everything EXCEPT the drums and bass which continue normally)

So, putting these together, the intro piano changes for Killer Joe would like like:

| C13...db ^C13.db | Bb13...db ^Bb13.db |

C13 chord held on the piano for the first 1.5 beats, followed by a C13 on the & of 1, struck and a break for the piano (drums and bass continue comping), similarly with the Bb13 in the second bar.

I don't know how this would translate for iRealb, but this sort of capability would be fantastic!

Thanks again for a great app!!!
    A fill is specified by putting a section letter in the part.
    Last edited by carneyweb; 08-02-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Another cry for LYRICS feature, but finish reading before you delete/move my suggestion:

A very simple feature, merely a text field enabling multiple lines and line breaks in the beginning/end of the song would suffice (would use one of the song info fields but they're single line and don't accept carriage return). One could just write/copy-paste the lyrics into the field or use it for custom notes (version, tag...). If worried about copyright issues name the field "Notes" and/or have iRealb ignore the field content when adding a song to the library from the forum/editor. Your program is an extraordinary piece of work but as a singing guitarist/pianist like myself I cannot seriously use the app. Forum suggestions on parsing your own pdfs of chords&lyrics are depressing since you're almost there!

Quote Originally Posted by carneyweb View Post
    I'd like to be able to add "pushes" and "rests" to chords.
    I was just thinking about this and found it right off on the forums!
    To implement: add a "push" switch on the roller far left in "chords" view (where "small" and "normal"are), so a little red "P" appears over the chord indicating it will be played on the eighth note preceding chord position.

Swing styles do that already, but rock and funky gravely lack that musical aspect.

I add the highest praise for this app - invaluable, and smartly made.
    Cheers

New Style Request: jazz brushes + sticks

When the next style pack comes out, I'd love it if it had a jazz style that had brushes on the drums in "A" sections, and sticks on "B" sections.

There's quite a few tunes that I play where that style would be perfect.

Keep up the great work!

- Mike.

I think it would be great if iReal B could shuffle songs or playlists items for lazy jazz musicians like me who always forget to make a setlist.
    Thanks and greetings!
    Jules

Default 12 keys

I'd like to add my vote for a suggestion made at least once here before, of being able to have a setting to practice a tune through all 12 keys automatically -- great for jazz musicians, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    You can use the Mixer to reduce volume or eliminate the instruments individually (tap mixer icon in Player window.)
    We might introduce notation staves in the future, but we would not be supplying the melodies (because of copyright.)

This thread might be of interest:
    http://irealb.com/forums/showthread....g-using-Player
    Hello,

why not to have the possibility to attach one or more pictures and/or PDF documents to a song? on the iPad after starting the playback one could press the image button and get the custom digital score of his choice with melody and words that he has previously attached to the song.
    it would work great for me not having to go out of the app.

best
    LB

Another reason for a future orientation lock feature...on the iPad, when using the Alesis IO dock, due to it's built in tilt, When I go to edit, the orientation goes from landscape to portrait, which makes it real difficult to use all the nicely layed out editing tools. I suspect this would also happen if I had the iPad in my case/protector, as it has the capability to tilt, but only in the landscape orientation. I think this is pretty much true for all the cases out there that I've seen, including Apple's.