Thread: How to delete song from playlist

Default How to delete song from playlist

How do I delete a song from a playlist without it going to the trash?
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    How do I delete a song from a playlist without it going to the trash?
    The precise answer depends on your app version.

There are always two choices:
    REMOVE from playlist (still saves in song library)
    MOVE to trash (delete) -- actually deletes the chart from the library and any/all playlists.

In some versions, you have to select "delete" to be presented with the choice. In my older iPAD , there is a "global" selection choice: REMOVE / TRASH which appears at the bottom of the playlist when in edit mode. In other versions you can "swipe" the song title. You may be able to select the "red-ball - do not enter" icon to use the function.

If you aren't sure, create a duplicate chart, add it to a playlist and experiment.
    In newer versions (iOS, Android), at the top of the playlist screen is "trash" playlist from which you can restore a recently deleted song to your library.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks Bob
    I've been experimenting between the iPhone,iPad and macbook.
    Originally I was just taking a Christmas tune out of a playlist while in edit mode (rearranging songs)
    I did not see the "Remove Trash" option at the bottom of the page so that's why it went to the trash.
    A funny thing happened though, rather then just showing the one song (It did at first) in the trash there was a huge list of tunes with a long list of numbers after the title.
    I'm not sure what this was so I checked in the library and the first few I checked where there.
    I then emptied the trash but inadvertently deleted the tune that was accidentally put in the trash.
    Should I RESTORE ALL find and then delete the rest? Not sure what restore all is?

thanks again
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    Thanks Bob
    I've been experimenting between the iPhone,iPad and macbook.
    Originally I was just taking a Christmas tune out of a playlist while in edit mode (rearranging songs)
    I did not see the "Remove Trash" option at the bottom of the page so that's why it went to the trash.
    A funny thing happened though, rather then just showing the one song (It did at first) in the trash there was a huge list of tunes with a long list of numbers after the title.
    I'm not sure what this was so I checked in the library and the first few I checked where there.
    I then emptied the trash but inadvertently deleted the tune that was accidentally put in the trash.
    Should I RESTORE ALL find and then delete the rest? Not sure what restore all is?

thanks again
    Golly, I've never done that. You could do what you think is best...and report back. Or wait for a reply from admin.

What has happened to me (I think) is I deleted a playlist which contained charts that were also in other playlists.
    So, I'm putting together a setlist for a singer-gig and I can't find one of her charts that I'm sure we've played...I even remember helping her edit the chart....gone. Fortunately, I found it in a playlist in an old device I keep in case the magic smoke escapes from my iPad at a gig.

As a side note. When I download a random list from the forums to look it over or an *old* list posted before individual songs were accessible to get a single song, I worry that if I DELETE the list...what if I contains a song (or several) from the Jazz 1300? I'm willing to trash their alternate version, but when their list has 50 tunes... Am I supposed to check each of them one by one. I suppose I could just delete the songs on their list that loaded with a number appended to the title.

I tend to err on the side of caution and not worry too much about duplicates and "near-duplicate" charts. Song code barely uses any memory compared to audio or video!

The moral to the story is, use caution when removing/deleting.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-14-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Guys, my insurance is backing up the entire library and each individual playlist after it is used on a gig. It is so easy to do on an iPad with email to my computer that I urge everyone to do the same. Bob, I do hope that I never see "magic smoke" from my iPad because I only carry one! Perhaps your reference to it will be another reason to buy another when the 2018 models are released!

I picked up a cheap 7” android tablet. I email or sandbox tx gig setlists when they are finalized. When I set it up, I only loaded some main playlists. Except for the current gig list, I don't try to keep it synch'd. Since my android phone upgrade (now 5”), I've also been updating it just for gigs at the same time. You know, belt AND suspenders...
    The tablet was $29 a year ago and I needed a new phone anyway.

I'm less worried about the smoke than I am about a gizmo doin' a high-dive or growing legs. Murphy is always lurking.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-14-2018 at 10:41 PM.

You can either move a song in a playlist to the trash or remove it (it remains in your song list). Search in Help for the different ways of doing this for your device.

The trailing numbers in a song’s title in Trash happens when a song is moved into trash, where a song with the same title is already there. (It keeps them distinct in case you need to sort through them to restore a specific one.)

If you restore from trash, the song (or all songs listing in trash) are moved back into your Songs list. For restore all, you could always do screenshots of the songs in the trash first, so you can check them after restoring (hint, use Find).
    (Users might like to check and empty Trash from time to time, so if a song needs restoring, it is easier to find with less songs in.)

Once the trash is emptied or a song is deleted from trash, you cannot get them back without going to your backups, Time machine (Mac) or another of your devices which has it.
    If you use iCloud sync, another of your (Apple) devices might still have a deleted song (depending on when it did a sync last).
    Turn on Airplane mode before opening iReal Pro (otherwise it will start a sync), perhaps turn off iCloud sync in iReal Pro, prepare sending the deleted song(s) via email to yourself, then turn off Airplane mode again for it to send, and import again on your original device.

I've downloaded an empty file from the forum, when I try to add it to trash, the software crashes, any suggestions where I can get tech. support to remove it from the songs db? I can't edit the song either, same result. I have turned it off and on again.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHughes01 View Post
    I've downloaded an empty file from the forum, when I try to add it to trash, the software crashes, any suggestions where I can get tech. support to remove it from the songs db? I can't edit the song either, same result. I have turned it off and on again.
    Your device info as well as app version may be helpful for support.
    It would also be helpful to have more info about the problem song file so we can find it and remove it from the forums.

If you don’t receive a reply from support here, email direct: support@irealpro.com

)BOB

Quote Originally Posted by IanHughes01 View Post
    Could you send us the link to the song that you've downloaded?
    Thank you!