Thread: Farewell Blues - Elmer Schoebel, Leon Rappolo, Paul Mares (1923)

Default Farewell Blues - Elmer Schoebel, Leon Rappolo, Paul Mares (1923)

Farewell Blues (Dixieland Tunes) - Elmer Schoebel, Leon Rappolo, Paul Mares (1923)

Farewell Blues - NORK
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-01-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Default How to enter solo intro for Farewell Blues?

I'm trying to chart the Scruggs version of Farewell Blues. It starts with a 4 bar solo banjo intro. How do I do that in iReal? Ideally, I'd like a 6 bar count-in instead of the normal 2-bars. Alternatively, a chord hit on the downbeat of each of the intro bars would work. Or, could I enter some sort of extremely simple click track for 4 bars? I don't see how to do any of those.

Thanks for any help with this.
    Last edited by loonsailor; 12-01-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
    I'm trying to chart the Scruggs version of Farewell Blues. It starts with a 4 bar solo banjo intro. How do I do that in iReal? Ideally, I'd like a 6 bar count-in instead of the normal 2-bars. Alternatively, a chord hit on the downbeat of each of the intro bars would work. Or, could I enter some sort of extremely simple click track for 4 bars? I don't see how to do any of those.

Thanks for any help with this.
    For help with a chart, post your work in progress here so it can easily be opened in the editor.

You can have the banjo play solo only by muting the other instruments using the mixer (in real time) there's no way to make the player do that automatically.

You can select the count-in in to be just one (or two) bars. As part of an added intro, you could start with added N.C. bars for drums only. For a chord hit on the downbeat of a bar, enter your chord in the 1st space and N.C. in the 2nd.

You can set the drums to just click, but the choice is for the entire song.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-01-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks! I've got the intro now. Thanks also for the existing charts - I hadn't thought to look in the other forums. However, neither of them had the solo intro anyway, so I would have had the problem anyway.

Solved! (with a little help)

Great.

So, are you going to share your chart?
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    So, are you going to share your chart?
    )BOB
    Why, yes. Of course! Here it is.

FYI, this differs from the previously posted charts, in that this is the "bluegrass version". The other two versions contain chords not used in a bluegrass jam, and also a B section which I've never heard in a jam. Also, there is a four bar intro to let the banjo pretend to be Earl Scruggs for a few seconds.

Farewell Blues (Scruggs version) - Schoebel, Rappolo, Mares (1923)
    Last edited by loonsailor; 12-03-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Nice job.
    A cosmetic detail: best to enter the bar-repeat sign (%) on space-2 so it will appear in the center of a 4-space measure.
    Thanks for sharing your chart.
    Hope there's more to come.
    )BOB

Same chart, but I made it somewhat prettier, based in part on that comment.

Farewell Blues (Scruggs version) - Schoebel, Rappolo, Mares (1923)