Thread: How to write D-7Sus

Default How to write D-7Sus

Hello,

I write the charts for Mel Bay Complete Jazz Guitar Method (Mike Christiansen) and page 19 score 8 there is a Dmin7sus

I may be stupid but I fail to find it in the list and Ireal doesn't recognize the direct writing

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by lstelie View Post
    Hello,

I write the charts for Mel Bay Complete Jazz Guitar Method (Mike Christiansen) and page 19 score 8 there is a Dmin7sus

I may be stupid but I fail to find it in the list and Ireal doesn't recognize the direct writing

Thanks in advance
    You could try a D-11 though it may also include the 9. Or, Fadd9/D would play the intended notes if using the player.
    For ease of reading you could add the unrecognized chord quality as an (unplayed) alternate chord above the substitution.

Minor 7 sus Substitutions - Example

More
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...chord-voicings
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-29-2017 at 08:18 PM.

The only problem with those substitute chords for Dm7sus is that they include the third, F, which the sus4 is supposed to replace with G.

Since a sus4 chord substitutes a fourth for the third (as opposed to a sus2, which subs a second for the third), there's no difference between a dominant7sus4 and a minor7sus4.

So Dm7sus is the same as D7sus. The difference is in the scales they represent, assuming that one plays the third in the melody.

There is no satisfactory solution to this in iReal Pro. One can put an approximate chord in place and use text to write in the correct chord and raise it above the line.

Obviously, the important feature request here is the ability to construct chords from one's own notation.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Use caution when using text to describe chords because text doesn't transpose.

Chords and qualities (even when unrecognized) entered in the alternate chord field wil display as written AND transpose.

Thanks for your explaination re: the (non)difference in construction of 7sus(4) and mi7sus(4) chords.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-16-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Chords and qualities (even when unrecognized) entered in the alternate chord field wil display as written AND transpose.
    )BOB
    Oh, that's right. I was forgetting that you can just write in a chord name, whether it's valid or not. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website