Thread: You’ve got to be carefully taught - Rodgers-Hammerstein

Default You’ve got to be carefully taught - Rodgers-Hammerstein

Looking for a chart for the above.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-28-2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Corrected thread title

"You've Got To Be Carefully Taught" is a song with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and music by Richard Rodgers from the 1949 musical "South Pacific." The song is a lesson on the way that racial and ethnic prejudice is passed on from one generation to another. The statement "It has to be drummed in your dear, little ear" has its parallel in the melody, which uses a repetitive rhythmic (quarter, dotted quarter, eighth note) and melodic motive throughout the song. The structure of the song is AAB, with two 16-measure A sections and a 20-measure B section. The harmony is purposefully simple, to parallel the simple lesson of the song.

"South Pacific" was a controversial production in 1949, with its treatment of interracial romance and children. I remember learning this song when I was in elementary school in the 1950s as a lesson in the avoidance of racial prejudice. Unhappily, its message is as relevant today as it was then.

Try this chord chart at 125 bpm using the Jazz-Ballad Even style. A lead sheet can be found in The Ultimate Broadway Fake Book published by Hal Leonard.

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught - Rodgers and Hammerstein
    Last edited by Keith88; 11-28-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Lead sheet reference

Hello!

I would really love to sing this song, "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein from the Musical "South Pacific". Here is the original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPf6ITsjsgk

My goal is to sing it like my vocal coach, Karrin Allyson, sings it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN22UPfunrg

I'm taking singing lessons from her via Zoom, and there's a delay so she has me use iReal Pro.

I'll take whatever you are willing to create.

Thank you so much in advance!

- Laurel
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-03-2021 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Moved to existing song thread

Laurel, here is a transcription of the lead sheet you are using.

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught 1 - Rodgers-Hammerstein

Here I changed the time-sig to 2/4 and the changed the style to be closer to Allyson's version
    I used Blues-Mo-Slo ~65 which is one of the Blues Styles which are available as a single in-app purchase
    (Highly recommended)

You've Got To Be Carefully Taught 2 - Rodgers-Hammerstein

)BOB

Nice chart, Bob.

The heading at the top of the chart still says "Waltz ..."

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Nice chart, Bob.

The heading at the top of the chart still says "Waltz ..."

Cheers,
    Jer
    Thanks Jer, Fixed it.
    )BOB

Bob,

I purchased the blues add-on, and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for your precious time! I truly appreciate this, and I appreciate you!

- Laurel

Thanks Laurel, we're all in this together.
    )BOB