Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realbook Real Book Changes Chords

Default Realbook Real Book Changes Chords

I searched Realbook Real Book Changes Chords with nothing in the title but I know there are many charts that are RealBook chords often they have RB in the title.
    Question;
    1)Did the Founder use Realbook chords with the original changes (if so I don't know why I don't have My One and Only Love?
    2) Is there a playlist of the current Hal Leonard Realbooks?
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

You may be interested in some of this discussion:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...Chart-Accuracy

Also:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...al-Book-I-list
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...l-Book-II-list
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-Book-III-list

We have not checked these charts for accuracy or player compatibility.
    Because of slight differences in the charts, downloading these playlists may result in many nearly identical duplicate charts in your library.
    )BOB

Thanks PDX
    I was not able to ask PrimeSax or Martinchococo if they actually went through the books and changed the chords or just put the real book songs in a playlist ? Do you by chance know?
    b
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    You may be interested in some of this discussion:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...Chart-Accuracy

Also:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...al-Book-I-list
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...l-Book-II-list
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-Book-III-list

We have not checked these charts for accuracy or player compatibility.
    Because of slight differences in the charts, downloading these playlists may result in many nearly identical duplicate charts in your library.
    )BOB
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Nope, I don't know.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Nope, I don't know.
    )BOB
    I'm not sure either. . I downloaded the RB1 playlist and checked a few tunes and they were correct but I want to find out from the OP if the whole playlist has been checked before I keep them.
    I'm loving the new cloud setup . I was able to delete the playlist and its songs. I checked by searching ALL OF ME on the mac. AOM3 was the one from the RB1 playlist. I went and erased the playlist on my iPad and it (and AOM3) disappeared on the mac.

From my personal experience, I don't trust any fake book, even the so-called "legal" ones. They are full of mistakes. Before learning a tune, I always check the original or the most popular recording for chord accuracy.
    The same thing applies with iRealPro charts. For jazz tunes, it can be tricky, because there are so many versions of the same tune and often with different reharmonization (and lots of freedom of interpreting chord changes). Most of the time, I would go with the original recording or most popular version. For any other versions, I usually specify the recording artist in the song title. It's also not a good idea to post a chart in the forum by simply copying it from a fake book without verifying the chord changes.

Sher Music jazz chart reputably have the most correctly named chord changes; has anyone here compiled a listing of only Sher Music jazz charts?

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    From my personal experience, I don't trust any fake book, even the so-called "legal" ones. They are full of mistakes. Before learning a tune, I always check the original or the most popular recording for chord accuracy.
    The same thing applies with iRealPro charts. For jazz tunes, it can be tricky, because there are so many versions of the same tune and often with different reharmonization (and lots of freedom of interpreting chord changes). Most of the time, I would go with the original recording or most popular version. For any other versions, I usually specify the recording artist in the song title. It's also not a good idea to post a chart in the forum by simply copying it from a fake book without verifying the chord changes.
    Cyrille
    I am soooo... tired of your argument. Of course we should all listen to as many recordings as possible. I always do and there are often many chordal variations especially in turnarounds . There is the occasional obvious wrong chord but mostly the chords work and thats what counts.
    What nobody seems to get is WE NEED THE CHORDS TO MATCH THE BOOKS because lead and horn players may be using the books and rhythm players using iReal . Or worse a piano player using the books while the bass uses iReal . It's a great start and I commend those that are doing it and labeling the tune "RB" in the title.
    __Rant__
    Sorry if I'm offending anybody here but I am sick and tired of hearing "These chords suck" and I'm sick and tired of everybodys stupid reharmanazations . I got over that in collage at Berklee . Many of us don't care about your science projects.

You need to remember that almost all the big name players play "re-harms. Bill, Chick and Herbie aren't looking at fake books. I would rather play their changes than those in any fake book. A lot of the re-harms in this forum are more the norm for working musicians than looking at a fakebook. I look at fake book for the melody only and I and my friends know when a re-harm works better than the fakebook chords.

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    I would rather play their changes than those in any fake book. A lot of the re-harms in this forum are more the norm for working musicians than looking at a fakebook. I look at fake book for the melody only and I and my friends know when a re-harm works better than the fakebook chords.
    Knock yourself out and re-harm till the cows com home. I have lots of personal arrangements with non traditional harmonies . Sometimes that means less chords like the illegal RB Softly Morning Sunrise.
    What I feel is of paramount importance is WE NEED THE CHORDS TO MATCH THE BOOKS and put RB in the title. The dumbest thing somebody can do is have a playlist that says RB2 and it's just the changes from the Jazz 1300 playlist. You don't need a playlist for that. just use the search box.

WE NEED THE CHORDS TO MATCH THE BOOKS so that when a tune is requested and the leader is using the book the piano and bass know the changes he/she is expecting.