Thread: Quickly restarting a looped section

Start the selected section from the beginning again.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE iReal Pro by the way!!

One small thing though. I am practising say the "A" section only, so I mark that section (say 16 bars) and I can then repeat that section over again. But after a couple of bars I make a mistake (I'm learning so it happens often ;-) ). Now I can pause the play and start again, but if I want to start from the beginning of the selected section I have to either wait for the tune to get back to the beginning or stop and then re-select the "A" section. Wouldn't it be great if once you pause a selected passage the current bar was highlighted with symbols for "continue" or "start from beginning of selection".

Just an idea. :-)

Thanks all for a great application !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beans1900 View Post
    Start the selected section from the beginning again.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE iReal Pro by the way!!

One small thing though. I am practising say the "A" section only, so I mark that section (say 16 bars) and I can then repeat that section over again. But after a couple of bars I make a mistake (I'm learning so it happens often ;-) ). Now I can pause the play and start again, but if I want to start from the beginning of the selected section I have to either wait for the tune to get back to the beginning or stop and then re-select the "A" section. Wouldn't it be great if once you pause a selected passage the current bar was highlighted with symbols for "continue" or "start from beginning of selection".

Just an idea. :-)

Thanks all for a great application !!!
    You're right Beans1900 , after pause it starts up where you left it and in loop mode the only way to get back to the top is to ;
    1) wait for it to go around the loop or
    2) press stop which erases the loop and you have to enter the loop again.

A couple things;
    I have a loop on my transcribing app (gAssistant) that alway goes to the beginning of the loop when you press the space bar.
    I'm not sure that would be popular here?

I'd say that you should set the loop at a bar before the place you made a mistake and one bar after it and just play it till you have it down perfect .
    One of the great things about IrealPro is how quickly you can set up your loops.
    I'm a teacher and I used to use Smart Music but it was really slow to reset a song and the loop process is very time consuming.
    IrealPro is great because it's fast to set up and get playing.

Here's what I have my students do when learning a song ;
    If it's an AABA tune with 8 bars in each section.
    1)Loop the first 4bars and practice the head , scales or whatever?
    2) do the same thing with bars 5-8
    3) then put all 8 bars together and loop
    4) Do steps 1,2 and 3 with the bridge
    5) do the whole song

good luck

Default Quickly restarting a looped section

If you select a number of bars of the chart to repeat, then start, then (as I often do) mess up you have to wait till you get back to the beginning of your selection to start again. That, or, you can stop, select the section again and start again. Wouldn't it be great though if there was a button to start from the beginning of your selected section again? In previous versions you could do this by changing the tempo by 1bpm and that forced the section to start from the beginning. Now with the latest updates you can change the tempo and iReal B just carries on with the new tempo. When you select a section to repeat the number displaying the repeats (3x, 4x, etc) changes to a loop symbol. Currently this does nothing if pressed and it would be perfect to use that to start the marked section again.
    Thanks in advance for giving this idea consideration as it is quite frustrating at times having to stop, remark a section to repeat and starting again.

Beans.

That would be a convenient feature, thanks for starting the discussion.

But....why do you "have to wait" for the beginning to start again?
    When playing live, it's really important to have developed the skills to deal with musical hiccups without letting your train get derailed. Stopping (and calling attention to mistakes) is a bad habit.

When you are having trouble it's probably good to slow the tempo until it's easily playable and set the practice mode to very gradually increase the speed.

)BOB

Hi Bob
    This isn't for when playing live which, as you mentioned, you wouldn't want to stop in that case. This is for when practicing tricky sections of songs. What I do is highlight the section I'm trying to improve and then go round it a few times.

Beans