Thread: Shared sound output

Default Shared sound output

Hi.

I found out about this app through a jazz class in Udemy. I was hoping that the app would share its audio output (that is the best description I can come up with, as I'm not a technical person).

What I mean by that is that some apps like JamUp Pro and AmpKit App allow you to connect a device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) to a guitar and use its output to modify the sound by way of virtual pedals and amps. These apps also allow you to load jam tracks and play the guitar.

iReal does not do that, and that's ok at the moment, as I am only using it to learn in that Udemy course.

I have a Fusion Guitar, which allows you to dock your phone or iPod and use that type of apps as described above: https://fusionguitars.com/

I would not expect iReal Pro to modify sounds, but it would be great if at least it allowed a clean string sound together with the tracks to be played.

Fusion Guitar is not the only gadget that allows interaction with an iPhone. There is also the upcoming JamStack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dEx-irTP8

Kind regards,

Robotman

Have you tried playing a song from your Music folder at the same time as playing the guitar? If this works, then I presume iReal Pro playing would work. Otherwise they have certain input/output things happening with the guitar so it takes the guitar sound ... through the effects apps and out to its speakers. You would be best to ask them because they would know how they made it to work.

iReal Pro does not accept audio input in the way those guitar apps do, all it does is output the song as it is playing.

You might be able to export the audio of songs from iReal Pro, then import (open in, share) to one of those guitar apps, then use this as a backing track. iReal Pro will not be running when you play the guitar, but the backing track from iReal Pro will be playing inside the guitar app. Not as convenient, but works for many others where they save the audio tracks in other apps (like Garageband or DAW software etc.)

Also there might be a way to use the Audiobus app (which works with iReal Pro), which will merge audio outputs from many audio apps. Again the Fusion guitar people would be able to help you there. I have not tried running iReal Pro with Amplitube in Audiobus or anything similar but might investigate, although even if I get something working, it might not work with the Fusion guitar. I cannot find any forum for them, but perhaps they have not developed one yet, since it is a new product.

There is a stereo line input which might work otherwise. It looks like it is designed for microphone input, but if your phone is not in the guitar, or you have another device with iReal Pro on, you could try cabling from its headphone out to this line in on your guitar. It may distort (since it is not a microphone) with medium to high volume set on the device, but assuming there is a volume control for it on the guitar, turn that up as much as you can for balance with the guitar volume.

If you manage to get things working, we would appreciate it if you report it here because others would find it useful. Thank you!
    Last edited by dflat; 11-03-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added information on connecting to mic in