Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lush Life - Billy Strayhorn

Default Lush Life - Billy Strayhorn

Lush Life - Billy Strayhorn
    Last edited by Coolpianoteacher; 10-31-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added triplet info

Helpful info about posting songs
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-and-Playlists

A few more chords would overlap less if switched to the small font.

Which "actual realbook" are your changes from?

Thanks for starting the discussion thread for this song.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-31-2017 at 10:23 PM.

This is from Real Book l (5th edition). Also there is one spot that has 1/4 note triplet chords. How do I input those?

iReal pro doesn't offer a standard way to indicate triplets.
    I think I've seen some charts that used a text indication of one sort or another.
    ⁀ ... ┏ 3 ┓

)BOB

Here is Coltrane's version, in The New Real Book One from Chuck Sher.

This is identical to the version in the Jazz 1300 Standards collection, but with the chord extensions shown, the double-time solos indicated, and the ending where it belongs instead of after the turnaround.

Note: There is not a barline missing in the fifth measure from the end. I stretched the measure out so the alt chords would not be scrunched up.

Also, I divided the 4/4 measure before the turnaround into two 2/4 measures so the FINE would end in the right place.

Ideally, the Verse should be played rubato, impossible in iReal Pro, of course. One solution is to delete the Verse and play it without accompaniment, then start iReal Pro for the choruses.

Lush Life - Coltrane - Billy Strayhorn

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 11-03-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    iReal pro doesn't offer a standard way to indicate triplets.
    I think I've seen some charts that used a text indication of one sort or another.
    ⁀ ... ┏ 3 ┓

)BOB
    Those were probably my charts, Bob. Unfortunately, several versions ago, the ability to use many "special characters" was disabled. I pleaded a couple of time to get them back, but apparently they confuse the file code.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

I know this is blasphemy, but I think Lush Life is a dreary tedious song. (It's made even worse when overly-indulgent singers do it so slow I need to shave again when it's finished. Nature Boy and Lazy Afternoon are two others I'd like to toss into a bottomless pit.) But it does have some cool changes and I have heard versions I don't hate. I prefer to play it with a salsa feel, so here's my personal chart. Alternate chords have been harvested from various sources including Billy Taylor, Tito Puente, and a pianist I met one summer while working on a cruise ship - you can thank him for the Coda outro.

Lush Life (Db Latin) - Billy Strayhorn
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-10-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    Those were probably my charts, Bob. Unfortunately, several versions ago, the ability to use many "special characters" was disabled. I pleaded a couple of time to get them back, but apparently they confuse the file code.
    Perhaps this link can help android users with their personal charts:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...6485#post46485
    )BOB

DaleMac,

Not blasphemy at all!

Beautiful version. Thanks much. I'm going to try it out on my next gig.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Another Coltrane’s version of Lush Life, from his Lush Life album(1957).

The chart above in The New Reak Book should be from “John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman” album(1963).

Lush Life - Coltrane 1957 - Billy Strayhorn
    Last edited by shin1ro; 03-06-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: corrected E7 to E-7, vertical bar at the beginning...