Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You should replace songs in Main playlists with my edits

Default You should replace songs in Main playlists with my edits

I think there is good reason to regulate uploading playlists, but I've edited many of the default charts included in the main playlists (Jazz 1300 mainly, also some of Pop). The walk up on "Lady Madonna - The Beatles" is wrong and this is certainly not a complex, difficult thing to chart compared to jazz standards. I'm willing to accept the system of uploading songs individually, but I'd like to either see a rating system installed for posts, uploads, and comments, or a playlist upload section in which no ireal format chart data is uploaded, but the sequence of songs and hyperlinks to the individual edited songs posted in their individual threads elsewhere. I'd prefer having both those things.

Thanks for the great app!

You are encouraged to share your versions of songs.
    Some discription of your edits would be helpful.

https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-and-Playlists
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by fsansing View Post
    (mis-posted in a visitor message)
    I’ve edited many of the charts out of this playlist. Where can i send them to be uploaded properly to replace the versions there now? Sandbox? Direct to you?
    Remember to post discussion in the forums

Answer is here:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...2749#post32749
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-27-2017 at 10:01 PM.

I’m aware of and uninterested in the proper protocol. If anyone would like me to send them my playlist of edits by email or sandbox, i’m glad for them to do the tedious work of uploading each song individually

I’m aware of and uninterested in the proper protocol. If anyone would like me to send them my playlist of edits by email or sandbox, i’m glad for them to do the tedious work of uploading each song individually
    Forrest, you can of course choose share your charts on the forums, or not.
    Either way, you are still welcome to continue to make use of the thousands of charts that others have generously shared here.

)BOB
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...1-Can-YOU-Help

Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-27-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Many of us edit the songs the way we want them and post the songs to the forum for members to listen for themselves and decide if they want to use our arrangements. You should post a few of your edits and we can decide for ourselves whether your edits are any good or not.

I think there is good reason to regulate uploading playlists, but I've edited many of the default charts included in the main playlists (Jazz 1300 mainly, also some of Pop). The walk up on "Lady Madonna - The Beatles" is wrong and this is certainly not a complex, difficult thing to chart compared to jazz standards. I'm willing to accept the system of uploading songs individually, but I'd like to either see a rating system installed for posts, uploads, and comments, or a playlist upload section in which no ireal format chart data is uploaded, but the sequence of songs and hyperlinks to the individual edited songs posted in their individual threads elsewhere. I'd prefer having both those things.

Thanks for the great app!
    I understand where you’re coming from.
    What you need to do is give the source of your information.
    There are basically three different types ;
    1) chords that you have transcribed from a recording.
    Common practice hear seems to be to put the initials of the artist next to the title. You can then use the text editor inside a chart to write the full name or album of the source.
    2) your own version. I usually put my abbreviated name next to the title (bob) or if it’s a colleague their name (Liz)It makes it easier searching. I have quite a few songs by somebody named Tom that I use once in a while .
    ...... but most importantly
    3) if you transcribe the chords exactly from a reputable book . Then it is important to have that info in the title. I am hoping in the future we can start sticky threads for popular fakebooks. Right now the Hall Leonard realbooks are standard in the jazz world so RB1 RB2 etc. works. The Beatles fake book is excellent. If you got your changes from it then you should label it. I’m not sure how ? Probably BFB

One issue that is a problem that hasn’t been addressed is when people find mistakes in your chart, how to go about correcting them? It’s a gray area. If it’s from an actual recording then it’s more black-and-white.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Posting alternate versions of songs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    What you need to do is give the source of your information.
    Yup.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Posting alternate versions of songs...

Yup.
    )BOB
    hey bob
    We all make mistakes. I have posted songs that I realize later weren’t 100%. It sure would be nice if there was a way to remove mistakes. Obvious mistakes. Like somebody posts something as a real book chart and it has mistakes. It should be corrected and replaced. I noticed in the days of wine and roses thread (which is starting to get long) There are some glaring problems with early entries. The average user is going to take the first tune they see. The Bill Evans version has some glaring mistakes. Only somebody who spent a lot of time with the song will notice some of them but holy mackerel. How many versions of that song have a B-flat minor seven in the 7th bar ? I have found a lot. There’s no way that chord will work. The melody is A natural. Some versions have an Eb7 which is correct but should really be a sharp 11. Even our fearless leader in your link posted the wrong bill Evans version .
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    We all make mistakes. I have posted songs that I realize later weren’t 100%. It sure would be nice if there was a way to remove mistakes.
    You can (should) edit your own posts that you believe contain errors/mistakes.

In a public forum with user-posted content, individual users must decide for themselves what works for them.
    You are welcome to share your opinions concerning the "correctness" of chords.
    You can certainly call chords or charts "FAKE" if you like.
    ...um, like...Fakebooks....?
    )BOB