Thread: Lovesick Blues - Friend-Mills

Default Lovesick Blues - Friend-Mills

Hello, I'm new at this and I'm having a difficult time creating a new song. I have the sheet music here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y36mprpt1...blues.pdf?dl=0

I'm trying to create a blues version something like the provided "Rock Me, Baby", but it's slow going & I need to rehearse.

Actually, I'd like the song to eliminate the first 4 bars, begin with "I got a feelin' called the blues", move the opening (I'm in love....all I can say) to the bridge, and repeat the main song to close.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you,
    Paul

Let's start with the chart as written
    Lovesick Blues - Cliff Friend-Irving Mills

Here are the changes you wanted, no Intro, swap the A&B and make it an ABA form.

Lovesick Blues 1 - Cliff Friend-Irving Mills

I don't like some of the split measures, I don't hear the song that way in my head (probably a Hank flashback)
    but it reflects the chart you shared.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-26-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks, Bob. This is terrifically helpful. I agree about the split measures, but that's the sheet music I could find.

I got iRealPro to help me practice playing with a band instead of just strumming & picking alone. This is very helpful.

I tried to write this myself (first attempt) but I couldn't get the measures to space well, and I couldn't close the loops. So I appreciate your quick response.

Paul

I noticed a couple of minor errors on the Hank Williams version of this tune I submitted a while back. Here it is cleaned up with a new title to avoid confusion and in the proper key (F).

Lovesick Blues - Hank Williams' version - Cliff Friend-Irving Mills

I reviewed the Hank William's version I put up a few months ago, and it had quite a few errors with time signatures. Here it is all cleaned up.

Lovesick Blues - Hank Williams' version 1 - Cliff Friend-Irving Mills