Thread: I asked for a Blues - James Morisson

Default I asked for a Blues - James Morisson

Hi Folks,

I am trying to encode a blues theme by James Morisson called "I asked for a blues" But I run in two difficulties:
    1. Readability - I can't seem make both the chart readable for the player and a reading musician (complex chord go one over the other, or I get more beats than I need)
    2. There is a chord that consists of A- C-D-E -G that I don't really know what designation to use for (A is in the base)

Here it is the raw version

I asked for a Blues - James Morrison
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-25-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Moved to song discussion forum

There is two incorrect chords in the chart, I'll post an updated version later...one other question appeared however - on another chart, when I (pop-slow rock) put a and b section that were identical, the player put a slightly different grove on section B. that didn't happen on the above chart - is this proper to the new custom blues styles?

See if this version works better for you.

I asked for a Blues 1 - James Morrison

This song is short enough that using a couple of 8-space measures isn't an issue.
    On longer songs, using the Small font for crowded measures can help.
    S and N (Small/Normal font size)
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-N-over-chords

Cadd9/A = ACDEG

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetNick75 View Post
    There is two incorrect chords in the chart, I'll post an updated version later...one other question appeared however - on another chart, when I (pop-slow rock) put a and b section that were identical, the player put a slightly different grove on section B. that didn't happen on the above chart - is this proper to the new custom blues styles?
    Yes, on some styles the player changes the groove for the B section. In other styles the player changes the groove on the second repeat of the form. Experiment.

If you prefer the B groove, try labeling the first section as "B"
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-25-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks Bob,

I used your recommendations to improve readability, I corrected the wrong chords and found a new style that changes the groove at B section. Feel free anyone to use it. It is not perfect, but it works.

I asked for a Blues (final) - James Morrison

I still miss the feature to be able to change the style in the middle of the song...
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-25-2017 at 07:27 PM.

It's best to not wrap measures between two systems (lines).
    The player ignores and skips "empty" measures.
    I added "fine" so a musician would know the form ends on the A the final time.
    If you intended the form to be ABA each time, you'd need "DC al fine" under the last measure of the B.

I asked for a Blues (final) 1 - James Morrison
    )BOB

Thanks Bob.

The real reason for the end Symbol was to return to the A section groove on the last repeat (returning to the "head" after soloing). This is not really an ABA form as the 8 measure scheme is repeated without any change whatsoever. But thanks for the readability corrections. Being new to this sometimes I miss things (like the bar line over the system)

Most of the time, my suggestions aren't just for you. You simply presented me with the opportunity to help more new members.
    Thanks for posting your chart.
    )BOB