Thread: Changing the pitch without changing the Chords

Default Changing the pitch without changing the Chords

Gday & Hello from New Zealand, this is my second post here!

So I'm learning how to drive this amazing tool called irealb

I have looked around and even checked out the manual.

I am a saxophonist having an Alto (Eb) and a Soprano (Bb)

I have been playing some Aebersolds and Hal Leonard playalong books, so I have the right chords etc, the beauty of Irealbook is, I can keep visual time making it easier to stay on time time and follow the Chords.

My problem is say in "The Girl from Ipanema" the starting chord is DM and is in the key of D, but the backing track is not in the correct pitch. If I try changing the pitch this also changes the Chords (I tryed both the transpose the Chords slider off and on, with no luck)

I've also played around with changing the transposition feature in settings C, Bb, Eb, F, G & 1,2,3, which changes the chords and backing pitch

I know this must be a simple fix, I'm doing something wrong and am sure this is answered somewhere in this forum but I can't find it, inspite of a search and looking at the FAQ's

irealb is a fab tool once I get the hang of it!

Thanks in advance

Cheers & Ciao
    Jimu

Quote Originally Posted by visionari1 View Post
    ... If I try changing the pitch this also changes the Chords (I tryed both the transpose the Chords slider off and on, with no luck)
    I've also played around with changing the transposition feature in settings C, Bb, Eb, F, G & 1,2,3, which changes the chords and backing pitch
    Jimu, you are nearly there, just thinking in a different way will work.

In Edit song>Info - set the key in (a default) Concert key. In edit mode, it is assumed you are inputting in Concert key. So this could mean using the Transpose all chords to do this on songs you want in specific Concert keys (as the default key.) However Song view>Transpose - alters the Concert key to whatever you like it changed to. The player will play in this Concert key.
    An example, The girl from Ipanema is in Concert key of F normally, so unless you need to, I would set it in F as the default key.

Then in Settings>Transposition, set this to your Eb or Bb instrument - whichever you are playing at the time (it is a Global transposition and applies to every song you view.) In Song view the chords will change because of this, but the backing track will still be playing in the Concert key defined in Song view>Transpose.
    If you want to practice in another key simply change Song view>Transpose to another key (do not need to change Settings>Transposition (global) once that is set for your instrument.) The Player will play in the new Concert key (but you will see the chords in your set instrument's key.)

So Song view>Transpose is always Concert key and always shows Concert key (and the Player plays in concert key,) but will not be the same key as your charts if you have Settings>Transposition set to either your Bb or Eb instrument.

Back to The girl from Ipanema.... Default key (Concert) of F. If you have global transpose (in Settings) set to Concert, in Song view it will be in F (and you will see F in top right as the set default key.) It will play in F. Change Settings>Transposition to Bb for your soprano for instance.... this will change your chart to key of G. Player will still play in Concert key (F). Change Settings>Transposition to your Alto, Eb. Then the chart will transpose chords for you for that instrument (D) ... Player still playing in Concert F.
    Want to still practice your alto on the song with another key.... say C Concert? just change Song view>Transpose button top right to C. Player plays in C. Chords still reflect global transposition in Settings set at Eb for your alto ... so the chart will be in A.

I hope this is clearer?

Thanks, i think we know how to transpose for one instrument or another;
    but what if i have my Bb soprano and want to practice for my Eb sax ? Do i need to go to Edit Song->info->set the key ? to what , then ?

thanks!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ttam123 View Post
    but what if i have my Bb soprano and want to practice for my Eb sax ? Do i need to go to Edit Song->info->set the key ? to what , then ?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...7513#post17513
    Does this post answer the question Jim?

Songs are assigned a default (concert) key when written. The chords match the pitch in the player.
    To leave the pitch the same and change the chords displayed (for transposed horns for example)
    Use the transposing instrument feature.
    https://technimo.helpshift.com/a/ire...nstrument&l=en
    On the iPad, it's in the upper-left corner of the transpose window.
    )BOB