Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TEACHERS LOUNGE - Music Instruction and iReal pro

Will do!! Thanks for all the help!

Default Ireal Pro For Backing Tracks For Teaching

Hello Good Day,Just Want to Share.I play Guitar in the Orchestra in the cruise ship,i teach there also to some interested crew member.i Use Ireal Pro For Backing Tracks to explain what scales to use and what works.i play first and tell them the possible scales to be used. its easier for me like that.i have this sample video where i played Bluemoon and i show this to my students and explain to them how i do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGi...ature=youtu.be

Default Thanks

Love it. This is great.

Ellie here

I have iReal Pro for several years but just started exploring it last fall. I have have shared it this year with a couple of my students so now I have to keep ahead of them and learn a little more each week than they know.

Any ideas for the best way for me to do that?

Also I started today readings other posts here!!

Quote Originally Posted by musicmasters18 View Post
    Any ideas for the best way for me to do that?
    Hello Ellie,
    Three suggestions to learn and teach iReal Pro...

Look through the Tutorials (found within the app, More>Tutorials; or found in Help, Mac version)

Refer to the glossary here at the forum which will give you an idea of the kinds of things the app does, and the terms used:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...SARY-iReal-Pro
    (I updated it recently, March 2018)

I’ve suggested to a number of teachers a different approach to what was the traditional way to teach in the past.
    A collaborative approach to learning an app and its functions could be adopted instead, where “homework” for each student would be to learn a different small function of an app to teach others in class. The teacher also takes part.

Each student’s explanation could be discussed and explored in class so every student (and teacher) understands the function, along with practicing the settings or functioning a number of times so it’s fluent and understood for everyone.

The role of the teacher provides guidance, makes sure course requirements are met for assessment and that each topic for each student is achievable, determines any appropriate order of each topic based on difficulty for the class (etc.)

Apps can be (seemingly at least) complex and unknown when first starting out and sharing the learning process together might be more effective and fun.

One student might learn/teach recording (this is often used for teacher assessment and feedback purposes).

A bass player might explain the mixer and how to turn off the bass volume so they can practice at home.

A couple of students, one a pianist, the other clarinet, might explain global transpose settings then be able to demonstrate this to the others, reading the same chart in the appropriate key for their instrument.

A drummer might explain how to change to different styles and set tempo.

A songwriter might describe how to create a new song and enter the chords.

Describing using iReal Pro for performance might include setting night mode, playback position, mixer volumes, highlight rehearsal symbols.

Someone might explain where to set ukulele font, and library to learn chord diagrams.

A more advanced student might export the midi file of a song into GarageBand to be used as a basis of recording other tracks with students.

Split screen (iPad) might be shown using another app to display a PDF of a melody or lyrics.

Post IReal Pro in my private lessons

I have a 19” tv as a monitor on to- of my piano
    If the student has the app in their iPad we connect their iPad to the tv and then they have a larger screen.

Or they use their I
    Pad with iReal Pro and my iPad Pro is connected to the tv and they are seeing the music they are working on in MusicReader which allows me to make annotations and send the annotated music to their Evernote digital notebook as their assignment

Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by ellie4u View Post
    I have a 19” tv as a monitor on to- of my piano
    If the student has the app in their iPad we connect their iPad to the tv and then they have a larger screen.

Or they use their I
    Pad with iReal Pro and my iPad Pro is connected to the tv and they are seeing the music they are working on in MusicReader which allows me to make annotations and send the annotated music to their Evernote digital notebook as their assignment

Ellie
    Thanks Ellie,
    Cool use of EverNote.
    )BOB

Default Advanced Improv Practice Guide - Ron Miller 1991

Advanced Improv Practice Guide - Ron Miller 1991

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pF4tcyIbw5E

Previous discussion
    Improvising Practice and Tips
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...ctice-and-tips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	497  

Check out these iRp tracks and videos for Richie Vitale's "A Lyrical Approach To Jazz Improvisation" theory book:

https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-Richie-Vitale

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-16-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Foundations for Superior Performance (book) - Richard Williams-Jeff King
    Exercise playlist here
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...iams-Jeff-King
    )BOB