Thread: Chord Chart Display for Windows

Default Chord Chart Display for Windows

I have a thought which may be of interest. Many of us are Windows users. I am well aware that there is no iReal Pro app for Windows platforms. That being so, it would be of use to have an app that could read a posted chord chart and display it. I'm not requesting an editor or a playback app, just something that could import a chart and display it on a Windows screen. Does anyone agree?

Maybe I need a little more explaination.
    An iRp chart's screenshot, jpg or pdf can be easily displayed on most any platform.
    Many users have found success using the android iRp app on windows (and Linux boxen) using Bluestacks or another android emulator.
    http://www.irealpro.com/how-to-use-i...on-windows-pc/

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-23-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Bob, what I have in mind is a Windows-based program or app that could import an iRP chord chart from the forum and display it on screen without having iReal Pro running in Bluestacks. I generally browse the forum on my Windows machine and it would be more convenient to examine a chord chart there before bothering to download it on to my iPad.

Just a thought…

I was sorry to see the web-editor go away. It was handy to take a quick-look at posted charts (sort of what you have in mind). I understand that the old web-editor added a security risk to the system.

On the other hand, I've adapted to downloading a new charts which allows immediate, convenient comparison with charts I already have, then keeping it, deleting or editing it without any additional steps.

Also, considering a core mission of the forums (funded and administered entirely by iReal pro through app sales without pesky and intrusive advertising) is to provide basic song-chart content as well as chart sharing for users of the iReal pro app I don't think it's unreasonable to only provide charts readable using the app.

There are other chart sharing sites and apps that I use, none as comprehensive as the forums has become.

Is there a reason not to browse the forums using a browser installed in the BlueStacks android environment?

I, like you, prefer to mostly use the "full site" version of the forums instead of the in-app mobile version.
    It's full-screen and I can easily zoom in and out as well as having more features. I keep the forums open in a tab in my iPad's safari browser.

I don't own a windows machine so I only know about using BlueStacks what I've read here.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-23-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Also, considering a core mission of the forums (funded and administered entirely by iReal pro through app sales without pesky and intrusive advertising) is to provide basic song-chart content as well as chart sharing for users of the iReal pro app I don't think it's unreasonable to only provide charts readable using the app.
    I see your point. It didn't occur to me that someone would use a separate chord chart Windows display program and not also use iReal Pro on another platform. My bad…

A while back, I bought a 7" android tablet on sale (really cheap) to have as emergency back-up in case the magic-smoke escapes from my iPad. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke

Since I already have iRp on my old android phone, I could add it to the new tablet at no charge (thank you iReal pro)
    If I ever get a windows box I'll be ready to go.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.

https://github.com/sciurius/perl-Data-iRealPro contains a cgi program that you can set up with a (local) web server. With FireFox browser, clicking on an iRP song will display it in a new browser window.

It may take some fiddling to get going on Windows, though.