Thread: I Only Want To Be With You - Hawker-Raymonde

Default I Only Want To Be With You - Hawker-Raymonde

Hello.
    This is the Dusty Springfield-sung song that launched her solo career.
    Happy singing!

I Only Want To Be With You - Hawker-Raymonde
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-15-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added composer names to thread title
    Live freely. Respect the planet.

This is a version of the song with a long vamp for heightened energetic finale

I Only Want To Be With You [end vamp] - Hawker-Raymonde

Thank you for posting this nice chart! I've always liked this tune but have never played it until now. Your chart has given me the impetus to learn it and to incorporate it into my list of gig tunes. I also liked (and learned from) the way you handled an unconventional repeat structure: This song has an A-A'-B-A' form that you have instructed to play twice, leaving out the initial A section the second time through the form. I've never seen that before in a iRP chart.

Incidentally, at the end of the last A section, you used a D.S. al 2nd End. instruction. In fact, D.S. al 2nd would have worked and been a bit shorter. I discovered this in an old forum posting https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...more-time-bars.

Cool chart.
    Typically, DS and DC instructions are placed underneath the bar. (it doesn't matter to the player)
    If I were sight-reading the chart, placing the DS above could cause me to jump to the Segno four bars early.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    In fact, D.S. al 2nd would have worked and been a bit shorter. I discovered this in an old forum posting https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...more-time-bars.
    I didn't know that, thanks for linking the thread for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Cool chart.
    Typically, DS and DC instructions are placed underneath the bar. (it doesn't matter to the player)
    If I were sight-reading the chart, placing the DS above could cause me to jump to the Segno four bars early.
    )BOB
    In paper scores, though, those indications are mostly written over the bar, especially in orchestral/classical scores (real book layouts sacrifice conventions for space - you can find any- and every-thing in there!).
    Since that's what I'm used to reading, that's how I layout my charts. Also, since they're rehearsal symbols, I keep them over the measures for coherency with Coda and Segno symbols.
    (I always regarded the iReal Pro default text positioning below bars to be a curious quirk...)

If I were to sight-read typical forum charts I would jump four bars late

We could start a world championship of iReal Pro-chart sight-reading...
    Cheers!

iReal pro has evolved from common jazz fakebook use. Since chords are commonly written above the melody-line, the DC and DS instructions are usually written beneath so as not to interfere with the chords.

From iReal pro conventions:
    "We developed certain conventions in layout since starting inputting the iReal Pro tunes so they look, function and get interpreted quickly in the same way. Mainly the reason is ... once you get used to reading the charts, you get to easily understand what is intended—we came from a jazz perspective initially so we saw the app as being something you might have to use on a gig (perhaps without a rehearsal) so clarity and consistency were important to us.
    Here are some rules we developed. Of course you do not have to adhere to them if you are preparing charts for yourself, but others in your band or here at the forum will appreciate the consistency.
    Some of these rules might change over time and we will probably develop other functions, notations and procedures as iReal Pro evolves."
    Chart Layout Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Default Only Want To Be With You - Hootie And The Blowfish

Only Want To Be With You - Hootie And The Blowfish
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-20-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: moved to existing song thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kalokagathon View Post
    We could start a world championship of iReal Pro-chart sight-reading...
    Cheers!
    Perfect! Where do I join ?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-20-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Default Two different songs with the same title

Just to be clear: there are two different songs entitled "I Only Want To Be With You." The first is the 1963 song by Mike Hawker[1] and Ivor Raymonde that was made famous by Dusty Springfield. My chart (see above) is for this song. The second song was released in 1994 by Hootie and the Blowfish. I don't know who composed it. Perhaps this thread should be split in two.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    Just to be clear: there are two different songs entitled "I Only Want To Be With You." The first is the 1963 song by Mike Hawker[1] and Ivor Raymonde that was made famous by Dusty Springfield. My chart (see above) is for this song. The second song was released in 1994 by Hootie and the Blowfish. I don't know who composed it. Perhaps this thread should be split in two.

I checked ALL MUSIC
    https://www.allmusic.com/search/all/...e%20with%20you
    I didn't compare the charts.
    I've copied it to its own thread
    Thanks for your research.
    That points out the reason for crediting composers by name instead of band or performer.
    )BOB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	477  
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-20-2018 at 05:04 PM.