Thread: Comp Mode?

Default Comp Mode?

This is coming from a bassist's point of view, but I'm sure it would be useful to others too. There is an issue with iRealPro which I'm noticing more and more, which is that with jazz in particular, it covers up mistakes and sloppy playing too much. Turning off the bass and drums and using a click track helps a bit, but even then the chords can provide a bit too much backing. It would be great if there was a 'Comp Mode', which changes the dynamics of the backing track to something less busy. The drums could switch to a very simple basic hi-hat pattern, and the chords can be much more sparse and softer. Kind of like what happens during a bass solo in a jazz tune - everything takes a back seat, and it means the solo has to be performed well, because it has nothing to hide behind.

It would also be amazing if this could be switched on 'on the fly', so that Comp Mode can be activated during playback - so that it becomes active when the song returns to the top.

Good idea or am I asking for too much?

I know what you mean, thanks for your comment. You might find Ballad Melodic or Even 8ths Open slightly useful (and changing the setting from Piano to Rhodes 1 might be a more gentle sound.)