Thread: Blues March - Benny Golson

Default Blues March - Benny Golson

I had problems getting the version in Jazz 1300 to go back to the head, so came up with this—now you can select the number of solo choruses you want (note repeat signs, so select 2 repeats if you want 4 choruses, and so on …
    Blues March - Benny Golson

Jazzhound,

That's the right idea, putting the heads in the Intro and Coda. It's a nice chart.

A couple of suggestions:

A Coda should have a sign that leads to it. The problem is that if you put a Coda sign at the end of the solos, the last time the solos will not play the repeat but will jump to the Coda. The solution is to put 1st and 2nd endings on the solo section.

Also, you don't need to fill a measure with repeated N.C.s. One N.C. will prevent any chords from playing for the rest of the measure.

Finally, a purely aesthetic item: I think it's easier to read if you raise the section head titles the way you did the solos label.

My revision is below.

Blues March-Rev JE - Benny Golson

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 04-03-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Ah! That's what those up and down arrows are for next to the text box!
    My chart works just the same without the 1st and 2nd endings and coda sign, and of course in a normal chart the head in would be "A", the solo section "B" or "solos", then you would just put "DC to coda" and put a coda sign at 4th beat of measure 10 in the "A" section …

But thanks for the input, I learnt something

You're right, of course, that it works just as well in playback without putting a Coda sign at the end of the solos.

But an isolated Coda sign is confusing to understand if you're reading the chart. When I looked at yours I was confused and looked in vain for the companion Coda sign.

It's unfortunate that iReal Pro has to depart from standard musical practice in order for it to play the way one wants.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if we could do things like fades and tempo changes, controlling # of choruses and styles on the fly? But of course, then we'd be paying a lot more for a performance app
    Still, I've yet to find a better practice app.
    The one thing I would really like would be the ability to pull up more than one window at a time—this would be great for comparing versions and editing ¿no?

I agree with all your suggestions.

I use iReal Pro for backing tracks in performance. It's ridiculously cheap. I'd gladly pay much more for it for added features.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Sometimes, if I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll export an iReal Pro song into Logic Pro, first having selected the number of choruses I want. Then I can put in all sorts of fills, backup horns, synths, strings, etc. also key and/or tempo changes, such as rubato intros …
    It's a lot of work, but for live performance it gives some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    Did you intend to play the drum intro again before the final A (+Coda)?
    )BOB

Yes, just like in the original Benny Golson recording