Thread: Meaning of % Symbol

Default Meaning of % Symbol

I thought the symbol % meant to repeat the previous bar but when I listen to some of the practice charts, the piano comping is not just repeating the previous bar. Can someone provide better guidance on how to interpret the % symbol in a chart?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickCox View Post
    I thought the symbol % meant to repeat the previous bar but when I listen to some of the practice charts, the piano comping is not just repeating the previous bar. Can someone provide better guidance on how to interpret the % symbol in a chart?

Thanks!
    Hi Pat,
    You are correct that the bar-repeat symbol (%) instructs the musician repeat the previous measure.

Since iRp charts are chord charts, the instruction to repeat a measure refers just to the chords contained in that measure. It's up to the musician (or player algorhythm, style, embellished chords Y/N) as to how to play (voice/syncopate) them.

For consistency, try selecting the jazz-long notes style and in the mixer, turn enbellished chords off.

If you have an example of the piano comping playing different chords in a repeating bar than are designated in the initial measure, please post the chart and what player style you are using.
    )BOB

Very helpful, thanks!