Thread: String of Pearls - Eddie DeLange-Jerry Gray (Request)

Default String of Pearls - Eddie DeLange-Jerry Gray (Request)

I'm new to this, so apologies if I've not posted this correctly. I would like the chart and track for String of Pearls is anyone can help please
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-20-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Corrected thread title

Default Sorry I Can't Help

Hello "Mindthegap." Welcome to the iRP community. I often try to fill chord chart requests, and as this is your first post, I wanted to reply. Unfortunately, I can't (or rather, iReal Pro can't) help with this tune. The essence of "A String of Pearls" is the syncopation of the chord changes in the tune, going down and up and down with I Imaj7 I7 I6 at the tonic and subdominant degrees of the scale. iReal Pro can only change chords on the beat, so it cannot provide a proper backing track for this tune. You're going to have to find a prerecorded backing track for "A String of Pearls" if you really need one.

A lead sheet for just the 24-bar head can be found in the Real Jazz Fake Book published by Hal Leonard. The blowing section is a simple 12-bar blues a major third down from the initial key. A big-band chart for part of the entire song can be found at http://www.colonialroadmusicpublishi..._of_Pearls.pdf. There are interludes that the Glenn Miller Orchestra (performances on Youtube) includes that are not included in the lead sheet or the chart.

I suggest you try to write a chord chart for this simple tune. Doing so will teach you how to use the software. As you will find out, iRP is very versatile. It does have limitations, including not being able to syncopate chord changes.

Let us know how you do.
    Last edited by Keith88; 01-21-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: slight correction