Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chord type request: minor add9

Default Chord type request: minor add9

I've requested this a while ago. Since a new version is coming out, I was hoping this one could be included.
    - minor add9 (1, b3, 5, 9) without 7th
    This chord type is very common in pop/rock/folk

I'm really disappointed. I've just bought iReal Pro and the first song I've tried to create is full of minor add9 chords.

Like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMUGFCaOHSU

Not professional at all not to include such basic chords ;-(

Hello! There is still no way to write a proper minor add 9 (no 7th) chord on iReal??

Thank you.

I've been asking this for years! (Along with other missing chord type such as minor 13th, diminished (major 7th), Major b5 (without 7th), minor 7th, add11 (without 9th), etc...

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    I've been asking this for years! (Along with other missing chord type such as minor 13th, diminished (major 7th), Major b5 (without 7th), minor 7th, add11 (without 9th), etc...
    Hello! Is this issue still in the same situation?? No minor add 9 chord? It's weird because Band in a Box doesn't have this type of chord either!!

Cyrille, what kind of voicings would you suggest for this? You were adamant that on major add 9 chords, the 9th shouldn't be on top but for minor add 9 if you don't put the 9th non top you end up with a b9 interval or minor second.

Hello Massimo,
    Actually the term (add9), is just a convention name in most books. It doesn't mean it has to be voiced as a 9th. It can be voiced as a 2nd as well (and it's commonly voiced that way)
    I would suggest to voice it as a 2nd because it usually works better for most styles and situations (same thing as with major (add9) chords).
    So here are two voicings I would suggest: (from low to high)
    1) root, 2, b3, 5
    2) root, 5, 2, b3

Root, b3, 5, 9 is ok too, but it might not sound right for every styles. If it's arpeggiated, it should be fine though

I have two sets of vocings: 5-notes for keyboards and 4-notes for guitar.
    I need various inversions to allow for smooth voce-leading and to allow for change of register when necessary.
    (The keyboard voicing don't have to be 5 voices)

Here are my ideas:

Keys:
    root, 2, b3, 5
    root, b3, 5, root, 9
    5, root, 2, b3
    b3, 5, root, 9

Guitars:
    root, b3, 5, 9
    5, 2, b3, root
    b3, 5, root, 9

Your option 1 doesn't seem playable on a guitar and option 2 has a minor 2nd at the top which seems undesirable.

Sure, I think all those voicings should be fine.
    Like you said, it's necessary to have more voicings to fit in different registers and keys and to have good voice leading

The Minor Add 9 chord is now available for testing in the iOS beta on TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/s0ijUrAi

Coming in the next Mac beta soon and to Android sometime early in the new year.