Thread: Can I number bars?

Default Can I number bars?

The new loop feature is great. Thanks for putting that in. Is there a way to put a number in the bars somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob6 View Post
    ... Is there a way to put a number in the bars somewhere?
    no not at the moment. We are aware that sometimes it is difficult to figure out what bars you want repeating when they are long or complicated song forms.

If you are having problems, here are some ideas:
    - copy/paste sections into a separate song;
    - construct the practice bars into a separate song;
    - change the form into an easier to understand sequence (so you can work the loops better.) For example, copy out the repeat/1st/2nd endings into a single continuous sequence;
    - separate sections into different 'songs' for practice;
    - or duplicate the song and delete beats/delete sections as (not) needed. Tidy it up for the player if necessary.
    Last edited by dflat; 05-08-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: added last idea

Was trying to work out the pattern for how the bars are numbered. What is the formal way? I remember many years ago playing with a college band, the teacher would say "take it from Measure 27." But I never paid attention to how it was done, cuz it was so easy to just look for number 27.

I didn't quite get the copy out repeat endings part. If you can elaborate on that.

I didn't quite get the copy out repeat endings part. If you can elaborate on that.
    If you have repeats with 1st and 2nd time endings, DS perhaps etc. the form of the sequence once through can get complicated - especially if you are wanting to loop somewhere near the end of the song (hence the suggestion to copy and paste what you want as a loop into a separate song.)

If you turn on Playback location (perhaps slow the speed if it is fast) you can see the bars as it plays. Just count as it plays each bar, but just keep on counting up the numbers for each bar it goes to ... even if it repeats.

Example:
    4 bar intro
    A section 8 bars repeated
    B section 8 bars
    C section 8 bars

The first bar of the B section is calculated as:
    4 + 16 + 1 = 21
    The first bar of the C section is 29.

Make a note of which two bar numbers you need to know for your loop.
    Then set the speed, loop bars and practice.
    Last edited by dflat; 05-08-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: added example

Thank You. I see how it can get complicated. What you are saying now makes sense to me. It's as if you wrote out/played the whole song in order, without repeats, codas, etc, and numbered the bars from start to finish. Yes?

I am still picturing the ability to pick a point in the middle somewhere (by touching the screen) and finishing out the song. Like when my teacher would say, "Take it from the bridge." Maybe we could throw this in for a future request.

.... It's as if you wrote out/played the whole song in order, without repeats, codas, etc, and numbered the bars from start to finish. Yes?
    Yes correct, it calculates the linear sequence bar-by-bar each time.

Default Update

The loop function now is easily set by selecting/highlighting the section to be looped. Touch the loop-play icon. 🔁

If I am entering a lengthy, multi-page choral chart into iRp, I'll use text to note the original music measure number at the start of each iRp sysyem. That way when the conductor says "take it from 54”, I'm ready.
    )BOB