Thread: Single tunes vs. lists

Default Single tunes vs. lists

MODERATOR NOTE:
    this part of a thread in another forum (Topic originally called: Here there and everywhere)
    has been moved to here and renamed

originally posted by Nipperkin:
    a question: in lists like the Beatles one, when a user clicks on the list link, does he download all the songs in the list, or can he select the tunes he wants? If you get the whole list, it might be nice to keep "single song" threads like this one for those who want just the one song, or perhaps include links to individual numbers, as well as a link to the complete playlist, in a collective "Beatles" thread. If you can download only those songs you want, then sure enough "single song" threads like this one are unnecessary. (And BTW, how do you add a song to an already uploaded list?)

Default Re: Here, There, and Everywhere

Nipperkin
    Edit: I originally posted instructions here about appending tunes to a forum post, but now moved it to this thread:

http://irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

[quote=dflat]Nipperkin
    Edit: I originally posted instructions here about appending tunes to a forum post, but now moved it to this thread:

http://irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Ok, got it. But this sounds like it wouldn't be possible to just download a single tune from a given list, is that correct? And if so, what about the person who just wants one tune from the list? Is there a way to not have to import everything if you only want one?

I don't mean to be a PITA, but I'm picky.

You are not picky.
    I think the intention is to have single tunes and a composite group of tunes at the same time - relating to a composer or a band or an era of time or whatever - meaning that a tune could be in several composite places. There are a number of options we are thinking about, relating to the categorization of tunes. We will have to see how this evolves to see if this works.

Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat
    I think the intention is to have single tunes and a composite group of tunes at the same time - relating to a composer or a band or an era of time or whatever - meaning that a tune could be in several composite places.
    One way to achieve that would be a thread titled "Beatles Songs" or "Mingus Compositions" or what-have-you, and in the thread contributors could post their transcriptions of individual songs and also add them to the playlist. The charts could easily be taken from there and put into additional threads on "Psychedelic Songs" or "Iconic Sixties Hits" or "Postmodern Jazz Ballads" or ..., where they could be listed both individually and in the playlist.

Just a thought.

A Pita? Lol! What's a Pita? The rest of this post is ok but I gotta learn what a Pita is besides bread. Then I can sleep. Larry

I had to think about it too ... pain in the ...
    ...and not bread - don't eat

Quote Originally Posted by Nipperkin
    One way to achieve that would be a thread titled "Beatles Songs" or "Mingus Compositions" or what-have-you, and in the thread contributors could post their transcriptions of individual songs and also add them to the playlist. The charts could easily be taken from there and put into additional threads on "Psychedelic Songs" or "Iconic Sixties Hits" or "Postmodern Jazz Ballads" or ..., where they could be listed both individually and in the playlist.
    That's the best solution, so you would put this song in the Beatles tunes topic and you could add it to the list or not. Someone else might do it. The whole idea though is that by combining all the songs by composer in a single list it makes it simpler to add a bunch of music to your iPhone and also keep the Forums somewhat clean and easier to browse.

Also, if you only want one of the Beatles tunes, you can simply delete the other ones after you import them to your iPhone/iPod. (the iPhone can handle thousands of songs so there's no need to worry about having too many songs in it.)
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-27-2016 at 08:37 PM.

This sounds good to me, and is how I'll do it in the future.

And PITA is indeed a "pain in the a**".

Default Sharing Playlists

While it is convenient for browsing to have a single thread for related songs, Beatles, Sinatra, etc., the discussions about different versions, "correct" vs. "incorrect" chords etc, belong in a separate discussion thread for *that* song.

Helpful info about posting songs and lists here:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...ring-Playlists

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-27-2016 at 08:47 PM.