Thread: Can you shrink the font for writing descriptive text?

Default Can you shrink the font for writing descriptive text?

Hi,

I'd like to write some partial lyrics under the measures (just a few syllables as memory cues), but the font size is too large, and I was wondering if there is a way to shrink the font size just for the descriptive text under the measures.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by ibsoreal View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to write some partial lyrics under the measures (just a few syllables as memory cues), but the font size is too large, and I was wondering if there is a way to shrink the font size just for the descriptive text under the measures.

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    No. Text size is not adjustable on charts in the text editor.
    You can get two lines of text between systems (lines)
    One beneath the first system, the second, above the 2nd system.
    For more space, lower the second system with one "down-arrow"
    See this example chart:
    [Example] Using Text - Example

For remembering lyrics, usually only a word or two per verse is enough of a reminder. Once you get started, you can roll all the way down the hill.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-17-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Hi Bob,

I opened up your example song, and I see the sample lines of text, but I can't figure out how the downward-pointing blue arrow works.
    Do you know if there is an online tutorial somewhere that explains this feature?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Hi Bob,

I opened up your example song, and I see the sample lines of text, but I can't figure out how the downward-pointing blue arrow works.
    Do you know if there is an online tutorial somewhere that explains this feature?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    The blue down-arrow lowers the entire chart a bit (from that space onward) each added touch lowers the chart an additional step through 3 steps, then returns to "off".

If the chart isn't too long, the down-arrow (in the symbols section of the editor) can be used to slightly lower the A-section below the IN or slightly separate the Coda from the repeating form. That offset can make the chart easier to read. Sometimes 1st/2nd ending indicators or text placed above a line can overlap "slash" bass notes or text instructions below the line above; it can be more readable with a tad more space. If you need a lot of extra room for text, it's better to insert a blank system.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-21-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Hi Bob,

I am still struggling with this concept. If I understand correctly, you can only associate one line of text per system, but you can move it above or below that system.
    If that is true, then it seems like the only way to add text underneath the last system on the page is to create an additional blank system, add text to that blank system, and then raise it so it displays below the prior system.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Hi Bob,

I am still struggling with this concept. If I understand correctly, you can only associate one line of text per system, but you can move it above or below that system.
    If that is true, then it seems like the only way to add text underneath the last system on the page is to create an additional blank system, add text to that blank system, and then raise it so it displays below the prior system.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    You can only have one line of text beginning in each space. By positioning that text higher or lower within the system and starting text in additional spaces, you can have multiple lines of text in a system.

Text added to any space in a system will initially display just below the system starting at that space (its lowest position), the default level. Text can be elevated within the system up to its highest position, just above that system.
    If you desire text below the default position for a system, that text must be associated with the next lower system.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-17-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your patience in explaining this.
    Here is how I understand this feature. Please tell me if I am correct:

1) You can have only one totally left-justified line of text per system, and that line can be positioned anywhere from above the system to below the system.
    2) There's no way to create two lines of totally left-justified text under each chord-containing system without creating an empty system (or whatever you call it) between each system that contains the chords.

Do I finally understand how it works?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your patience in explaining this.
    Here is how I understand this feature. Please tell me if I am correct:

1) You can have only one totally left-justified line of text per system, and that line can be positioned anywhere from above the system to below the system.
    2) There's no way to create two lines of totally left-justified text under each chord-containing system without creating an empty system (or whatever you call it) between each system that contains the chords.

Do I finally understand how it works?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    Correct.
    To be "left-justified", text must be entered in the first space of a system. Each systen has only one "first-space".
    You can add text beneath system 1 and above system 2 giving two lines of text between those systems.
    Since the text above system 2 was entered in its first space, there's no further way to add left-justified text associated with system 2 beneath it.

Using Text - Example

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-18-2016 at 01:25 PM.