Thread: Open file format?

Default Open file format?

I am new to ireal pro and am having trouble copying and editing "mama don't allow" from the parking lot pickers. I want to change time signature, default key, and did this okay. But the chords do not change for some reason. And I am having trouble overwriting the chart chords, it won't overwrite or delete, and the font for what I can add is incorrect.

Then I want to delete the text at the top and edit in my own. My first impression is that the text editor on iOS is atrocious. I can't select text, and the cursor appears incorrect, and text entered does not have the same font as what's already there.

My request would be to have an open file format in say XML format, where you could just edit songs directly in a text editor. It would be so easy that way and much more interchangeable.

Dude! You just got here. The editor has a learning curve.
    You really need to explore *everything* behind the question mark in the circle at the top any
    app page.

About the Parking Lot Pickers chart...
    It takes about a minute (or less) to:
    Open a DUPLICATE in the editor
    Highlight the chord portion of the chart, copy.
    Highlight the whole chart, delete.
    Place the cursor on the first space of the desired system (line), double tap. Paste.
    Select new time sig,
    Change the key on the info screen, "SET AND TRANSPOSE".
    You have a clean slate and can type your text where you like.

It took longer to type this than to do it.
    You can select the chord-font in Settings
    Read this too:
    http://www.irealpro.com/input-a-comp...der-3-minutes/
    Welcome, thanks for your suggestion.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-24-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Thank you. I sort of have it figured out. It has a very strange cursor. I am used to 'insert' with a line cursor, and 'overwrite' with a box cursor (you could make that a feature request), and a space bar that actually puts in spaces. Backspace and delete are also quite odd on this thing. I see now that the symbols and other notation could get too cumbersome to edit directly in XML.

There are situations where a generic editor (e.g. text based, XML or JSON) is handy. There are situations where a dedicated editor (e.g., the iRealPro editor) is handy.

Although I have tools that allow me to edit iRealPro data like text, 99% of the time I prefer the built-in editor. It is not perfect, but very well suited for the job. Once you get the hang of it ...

Quote Originally Posted by sciurius View Post
    There are situations where a generic editor (e.g. text based, XML or JSON) is handy. There are situations where a dedicated editor (e.g., the iRealPro editor) is handy.

Although I have tools that allow me to edit iRealPro data like text, 99% of the time I prefer the built-in editor. It is not perfect, but very well suited for the job. Once you get the hang of it ...
    How are you getting to the data file? Using an app? I am on an iPad walled garden and have no access.

If you are still looking for the data file... You can mail yourself the irealb file; open it in a text editor and; look for a line that looks something like this...

irealb://Twinkle%20Twinkle%3DTraditional%3D%3DFiddle%20Tune %3DG%3D%3D1r34LbKcu7B*%5BY%5D2GXyQQyXA%7CQyXG%7CQy XGQ%7CyXG%7CQyXC%7CQyXG%7C%7CDXyQ2TA*%5BGXyQ%7CGXy Q%7CCXyQ%7CGXyQ%7CGXyQ%7CGXyQ%7CDXyQ%7CGXyQZ%20%3D Pop-Country%3D180%3D1

Thats it...contains all the info needed

My tools can deal with the saved playlists (or songs) in html and mail format. No need to extract the barebones data.

https://metacpan.org/release/Data-iRealPro
    https://github.com/sciurius/perl-Data-iRealPro