Thread: Playing a turnaround chord only on the first time of a repeated section

Default Playing a turnaround chord only on the first time of a repeated section

Hi,

I have a repeated section and there is a turnaround chord that I only want to play on the first time through.
    Is there a simple way to do this without setting up two endings?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

For help with a chart, it's best to post the chart with your question so it can be easily opened in the editor and the issue addressed in your specific context.

Quote Originally Posted by ibsoreal View Post
    Hi,
    I have a repeated section and there is a turnaround chord that I only want to play on the first time through.

Is there a simple way to do this without setting up two endings?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    Short answer:
    No.
    Using 1st/2nd endings is the easiest way to do that.

Longer answer:
    The player feature just follows instructions the way it is programmed.
    The only way the player understands "first time play this, second time play that" is 1st and 2nd endings.
    In the alternative, you could write out the sections twice--even though it's only ONE chord at the end, the two sections are different.

If it's a read-only chart for musicians to follow, instead of using the standard musical notation convention of 1st and 2nd endings that the player follows, you could (for example) use the small alternate chord above the bar for the turnaround chord and using text, add the note: 1st time. But that would require more key strokes and be harder to read than using 1st and 2nd endings.

For your described need, using 1st and 2nd endings shouldn't require additional chart space

See this example chart:
    2nd Endings - Example

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-14-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks! This is a read-only chart, so the small alternate chord and the "1st time" text sound like a good plan. I vaguely remember seeing a chord in parenthesis in a chart somewhere, but I may be imagining it

Quote Originally Posted by ibsoreal View Post
    Thanks! This is a read-only chart, so the small alternate chord and the "1st time" text sound like a good plan. I vaguely remember seeing a chord in parenthesis in a chart somewhere, but I may be imagining it
    You can use text to write a chord and enclose it eg. (C7), but it won't transpose with the chart.
    As mentioned previously the small "alternate" chords entered above the system will transpose with the chart.
    It's tricky, but using text, it's possible to place parenthesis around alternate chords.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...ternate-chords
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-24-2017 at 10:26 AM.