Thread: Ideas about lyrics input

Default Ideas about lyrics input

I was thinking, it could possible to display lyrics using the same system as the chord diagrams feature. Lyrics could be displayed the same way as it works now with keyboard/guitar chord diagrams. Users could type (or copy/paste) seperate sets of lyrics in an input box that could be saved within the song.
    It shouldn't be technically very difficult to implement it since a similar function already exists with the chord diagrams.
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 09-27-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Unfortunately, lyrics usually more horizontal space than chords. iRealPro provides max. 16 chord 'cells' per line. Usually there are 4 cells per measure.
    So either the lyrics of some measures will overlap with other lyrics, or you need to make the measures very wide (taking up more cells), losing the nice compact nature of iRealPro charts. The horizontal limit of approx. 14 lines will also kick in quickly.

While it may be possible to do this for some selected songs, I do not consider it viable for general use.

Maybe I didn't explain clearly enough. I'm not talking about adding lyrics inside the cells. I'm thinking about adding them in that huge space taken by the chords diagrams (not symbols) which are displayed when using the player (the feature is not turned on automatically). At the bottom right of the player, there's an icon to turn on keyboard or guitar diagram. When this is on, it displays the diagrams when the song is played. The space used for it is about 1/4 of the screen at the bottom, so enough to fit a lots of lyrics. Also, when the chord changes, some other lyrics can be added, just like karaoke system. All is needed is to create another "diagram" menu for the lyrics (just like the keyboard one hand, two hand, guitar tab, etc..), and having the possibility for the users to input their lyrics, and save them with the song.

Here's below a screenshot that I've modified (I've added some lyrics on the keyboard diagram window). I left on purpose a bit of the original background for better understanding, but normally it should be only white (or other color):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-29-01-51-06.jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	429
    In this example, I've added the lyrics related to the 4 first bars of the verse, but we could also fit the lyrics bar after bar for better synchronization (after each bar, a new set of lyrics would be displayed)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-28-21-36-03.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	428  
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 09-28-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Ah, I see! Nifty, indeed!

I'm not a singer myself, so it's not really important to me, but there are lots of singers out there that could use IRP as a practice tool. This feature could definitely boost the sale of this app!

Good idea Cyrille
    This could work for lyrics with a few tweaks .
    1. The iPad version only shows the window in play mode . Not good for guys just reading charts. If the iPad version could be modified to be like the Mac version you could then use one window without having to use the play-along feature. The Mac version is also movable and sizable . Those would be very nice features . (may be impossible?)
    2.You would want to be able to add the lyrics with a choice of fonts or be able to input your own image with whatever font you used in your word processor.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Actually, the idea is not to have the lyrics displayed on the chart itself but been displayed while the song is played (just like karaoke). Because:
    First, there are not enough space on the chart to add all the lyrics, it would become too crowded.
    Second, for copyright reason, it's best not to have them written on the chart itself.
    To insert the lyrics, we could use the same button for selecting the type of input (chord, alt. chord, text), and then add one more type for the lyrics. The lyrics could then be displayed only in editing mode (in semi-transparent color, just for checking and verifying the content), and then be displayed only when playing the song after selecting a new mode (similar to the keyboard left/right hand voicing or guitar tab) in the lower part of the screen.
    Also I don't think there's any copyright issues about lyrics. Some people may use IRP only for their own original material. If the music/lyrics is their own creation, there's nothing wrong about IRP displaying their own lyrics.
    If someone want to share other people's lyrics, they should assume the responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    Actually, the idea is not to have the lyrics displayed on the chart itself but been displayed while the song is played (just like karaoke). Because:
    First, there are not enough space on the chart to add all the lyrics, it would become too crowded.
    Second, for copyright reason, it's best not to have them written on the chart itself.
    To insert the lyrics, we could use the same button for selecting the type of input (chord, alt. chord, text), and then add one more type for the lyrics. The lyrics could then be displayed only in editing mode (in semi-transparent color, just for checking and verifying the content), and then be displayed only when playing the song after selecting a new mode (similar to the keyboard left/right hand voicing or guitar tab) in the lower part of the screen.
    Also I don't think there's any copyright issues about lyrics. Some people may use IRP only for their own original material. If the music/lyrics is their own creation, there's nothing wrong about IRP displaying their own lyrics.
    If someone want to share other people's lyrics, they should assume the responsibility.
    I'm not going to argue with you over copywriter except to say you are misinformed. ��
    I thought I made it clear I am not interested in karaoke style lyrics. ��
    I was trying to be polite about how your idea might work for my uses .��
    Never mind ��
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Not everyone is using iPad or Mac with IRP. Many people are just using their smartphone. So to fit lyrics in a seperate window would be something difficult to achieve with such small screens. Or maybe having a floating popup window that can be turn on or off could work.
    I know the karaoke idea might not suit everyone's need but I think some people could be interested.
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 10-30-2016 at 04:46 AM.