Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Foolish Heart - Victor Young-Ned Washington

Default My Foolish Heart - Victor Young-Ned Washington

Of course, My Foolish Heart has been posted before, but this version I found is considerably different, still in Bb. If THIS version has already been posted, I missed it and I apologize.

EDIT: Fixed an error in originally posted chart.

My Foolish Heart (HLv141) - Victor Young - Ned Washington
    Last edited by nimbleswitch2; 08-27-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Actually, it is essentially the same as previous posts of the tune.

There are only minor differences, such as showing V7 alone or V7sus-V7 instead of IIm7-V7.

It's in the collection Jazz 1300 Standards.

They're essentially the Bill Evans changes — except that Bill played it in A major. And each time he played it it was slightly different — good players never lock into an absolute set of changes. (Naturally, in iReal Pro one is pretty much locked in.)

No reason to apologize. You included an intro, which is absent from all the others.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 08-26-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch2 View Post
    Of course, My Foolish Heart has been posted before, but this version I found is considerably different, still in Bb. If THIS version has already been posted, I missed it and I apologize.

My Foolish Heart (HLv141) - Victor Young - Ned Washington
    Thanks for starting the discussion thread for this great tune.
    )BOB

Like Jerry, I'm a big Victor Young fan. Here is my take on this great tune. Note that I use non-standard changes at the end of the bridge.

My Foolish Heart (k ver) - Victor Young

All our versions are more similar than they are different.

My Foolish Heart-Rev JE - Victor Young

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Actually, it is essentially the same as previous posts of the tune.

There are only minor differences, such as showing V7 alone or V7sus-V7 instead of IIm7-V7.

It's in the collection Jazz 1300 Standards.
    Yeah, you're right, Jer.

I think I just like the 2nd bars of the last lines of the two C sections, with their different sets of four changes each. The first "REV" version of this you posted a couple years back used two changes there, but your new one here has four. I like the sound of that with the lyric in my head.

This one I posted here is from a Hal Leonard book; nothing I came up with. I don't play piano. Luv it tho.

As far as the Intro goes, I get no credit for that, since it's just the last line of the first C section. But having 13 systems is nice sometimes, isn't it?

BTW, I got to see and hear the great Harry Pickens play again a week ago. "They Can't Take That Away ...," "Time After Time," "The Shadow of ...," "Mona Lisa." More. All Harry's special way. Always great when he comes to the West Coast.

Jack
    Last edited by nimbleswitch2; 08-27-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch2 View Post
    Yeah, you're right, Jer.

I think I just like the 2nd bars of the last lines of the two C sections, with their different sets of four changes each. The first "REV" version of this you posted a couple years back used two changes there, but your new one here has four. I like the sound of that with the lyric in my head.
    I'm constantly revising. Also, I sometimes post simplified versions of a tune for easier readability.

As far as the Intro goes, I get no credit for that, since it's just the last line of the first C section. But having 13 systems is nice sometimes, isn't it?
    Indeed! You get credit for including the intro in your chart, so others don't have to add it in.

BTW, I got to see and hear the great Harry Pickens play again a week ago. "They Can't Take That Away ...," "Time After Time," "The Shadow of ...," "Mona Lisa." More. All Harry's special way. Always great when he comes to the West Coast.

Jack
    Sounds good.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Default My Foolish Heart - Bill Evans Chords

Does anybody have the Bill Evans interpretation/arrangement?

My Foolish Heart 1 - Victor Young
    Another almost Evans version. Bill recorded this tune many times and like Jer said, it was a little different each time.

raymb1's is the generally accepted Bill Evans version, as written in the Real Book.

However, in the book and here it's in Bb, whereas Bill played it in A.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website