Thread: What notes are in a Minor six chord?

Default What notes are in a Minor six chord?

Can anybody please explain in simple English, what a minor sixth is? If you're just going to copy and paste the Wikipedia version or try to strut your musicological expertise, please don't bother. There is more than enough terminological circumlocuation extant.

In other words, what effing notes does one play? For example, 1, 3, 5, 6 or 1, 3, 5, 6b? Or 1, 3b 5 6b for minor?

Help appreciated.

To find the answer to "What notes are in this chord?" Just look in the chord library in the app.

Select "chord diagrams" (lower right in iOS)
    Select the piano keyboard icon (or chord/scales icon for musical notation, and choose bass or treble clef )
    Then select LIBRARY.
    Choose the root, select the quality and...there's your answer.

You'll learn that iReal pro plays the 1,3b,5 and 6 for the -6 chord quality. (The minor triad and the added sixth)

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-21-2016 at 05:06 PM.

From one geezer to another:

A minor sixth is an interval, consisting of eight semitones: a-f, or b-g, or c-ab, etc. A minor six chord is built upwards of the following intervals: a minor third, a major third, and a major second. Examples C min6: c eb g a; D min6: d f a b; E min6: e g b c#. iReal Pro chord charts usually use a minus sign in chord symbols for minor chords, so a C minor 6 chord would appear as C-6. Interestingly enough, the interval between the lowest and highest notes of a minor six chord in root position is not a minor sixth; it is a major sixth (= 9 semitones).

Please let us know if you need more info.
    Last edited by Keith88; 08-21-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    Interestingly enough, the interval between the lowest and highest notes of a minor six chord in root position is not a minor sixth; it is a major sixth (= 9 semitones).
    That's because the 'minor' in 'minor sixth chord' applies to the chord, not the sixth. It's a minor chord plus a sixth.

I spelled out the notes of the minor six chord as well as the intervals in the chord to indicate that the base chord is a minor triad. Why else would it be called a minor six chord? I put the information about the major sixth interval in my post as an afterthought.
    Last edited by Keith88; 08-22-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Default Less info preferred

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    I spelled out the notes of the minor six chord as well as the intervals in the chord to indicate that the base chord is a minor triad. Why else would it be called a minor six chord? I put the information about the major sixth interval in my post as an afterthought.

The answer with 1, 3b, 5 and 6 was all I needed. I was under the impression that the 6th note would be flat because that's what happens in a 7th chord. Thanks for clearing that up.

Happy you got it sorted.
    We'all here aims ta pleeze
    )BOB

No one is born with this information so don't be afraid to ask about anything. This is a very friendly forum. I agree with graphicsgeezer that the Wikipedia article is confusing and very difficult to understand.

just a side note.
    The min6 is outlined nicely by the bass in the classic Miles version of Autumn Leaves.
    IMHO
    I tell my students to practice scales using chords with no extensions. That way for a minor chord they can experiment with the aeolian, phrygian and dorian modes (along with the harmonic and real minor scales)to see how they resolve to the upcoming chord.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc