Thread: Adding Bars

Default Adding Bars

Hi there
    Is there a maximum amount of bars that you can have for the ipad app? Is there an easier way to add more bars than pressing 'add beat' multiple times?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renaesuttie View Post
    Hi there
    Is there a maximum amount of bars that you can have for the ipad app? Is there an easier way to add more bars than pressing 'add beat' multiple times?
    Thanks
    The number of bars does not really matter. You can usually get up to 8 bars across a system - depends on the number of chords you have in a bar of course. There is no way to add bars, only beats, but you can use the templates if they are near your song's form. Bars can be different widths (have a look through the forum and if you have the 1200 jazz songs or the original library for different bar lengths.) Basically you can have a bar of 2 or 4 spaces, so if we added a "Add bar" it would have to know what width you require.
    You can easily make a system with just barlines and copy/paste that a few times. If you need a specific template, make one yourself and use that each time (using Edit copy of song.)
    I usually tap on the template nearest the form or use Blank, and add the barlines as I am going along. On iPad it is easier than iPhone obviously.
    Oh - also you do not have to press NEXT to go along the system beat-by-beat, just tap where you want the chord or barline to go. Can be very quick.

Also check the player works as you input each section (assuming you want to use the Player facility.) It likes clear charts in order to understand what chord is where on the beats (spaces) within the bar. Having a bar with 5 spaces in a 4/4 song with chords on every beat will not work. However for 3/4, 4 spaces, 4 beats in that bar is ok since 3/4 is quite common (we made the player obey the spacings.)
    Sometimes you have to move them a space in order to have it play. 4/4 is quite easy obviously.
    Last edited by dflat; 04-13-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added information on the Player, added info on tapping to get to the beat

I have been creating a piece. There are 52 bars in this piece, but I have got to 48 bars and it won't seem to let me add any more. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Re-read the explanation above, and also here:

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...ght=#post16235
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Quote Originally Posted by CharTrombone View Post
    I have been creating a piece. There are 52 bars in this piece, but I have got to 48 bars and it won't seem to let me add any more. Can anyone advise?

Thanks
    Thank you, yes I read further and realised I can reduce the number of spaces. Many thanks X

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    ...you can have a bar of 2 or 4 spaces...
    Actually, if there's only 1 chord in a particular measure, that bar can be 1, 2, 3, 4 or any number of spaces without affecting the way it plays - although it's not great for reading. So, in theory, the "maximum amount of bars" is 192 (16 bars x 12 lines).
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.