Thread: Song titles starting with "The" or "A".

Default Song titles starting with "The" or "A".

Is it possible to turn off the function that moves the word "the" from the front of a song title to the back eg at present "The Letter - Joe Cocker version" becomes " Letter - Joe Cocker version, The". It seems that a space is added to the front of the title which then moves the song to the top of the master song list. The function is great for stopping dozens of songs with the at the front being clumped together but it would be useful to be able to turn it off for some song titles.

You are correct that the iRp default is to automatically reposition initial "The's" and "A's" to the end of titles to avoid that long list of titles in your index that start the same.

Try adding a period, (dot, ".") at the end of "The" like this:

The. Letter or The.Letter (whichever you like better)

The same technique would also work for titles starting with "A". (If you like)

You can then choose to display those titles in your index the way you prefer.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-28-2016 at 04:14 PM.

I usually write in the titles like this: Lady is a Tramp, The - Look of Love, The - Night has a Thousand Eyes, The - Time for Love, A.

Thanks. That works

When I change the title of a song (example: "Foggy Day, A" changed to "A Foggy Day"), the tiltle is still found with the old name in the list, and thus sorting the list alphabetically the song is found under "F" and not under "A". Any solution ?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-04-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion thread

This feature has been requested several times over the years. iTunes leaves articles [a, an, the] at the beginning but ignores them for alphabetization. Not sure why this seems to be so difficult to implement for iRP. On my personal charts, I leave off articles entirely: Lady Is A Tramp. (The Letter is not a song I have on iTunes, so I don't know how Apple deals with that one.)

Footnote: iTunes also ignores apostrophes, like for 'S Wonderful. It would be swonderful if iRP did that too.
    Last edited by DaleMac; 01-09-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.