Thread: New style request: Swing 8th note feel pop/soul

Default New style request: Swing 8th note feel pop/soul

I've tried every styles available in IRP but couldn't find a close enough match for songs such as "Natural Woman" (Aretha Franklin) or "If I ain't got you" (Alicia Keys).
    The pop styles available are either swing 16th notes or straight (even) 8th notes based.
    No swing 8ths styles (except in the jazz category) are actually available.
    The closest I could find is the "two/four swing style", but it goes into walking on chorus, which doesn't fit the style at all.

Try "Pop - Rock 12/8" and reduce the Tempo all the way down into the 40s. This won't suit every song of this style, but might be an acceptable work-around for the two you mention.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Thanks for the suggestion DaleMac.
    It's a good alternative, but the tempo of those songs are between 112 - 120 bpm. The pop 12/8 style is too busy at this tempo (the piano is playing continuously triplets all the way).
    However, I think it's still better than the swing two-four style. I will keep this until something more suitable comes up.

Yes, I know. That's why you'll need to crank the tempo all the way down. Here's another example:

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...ow-Gamble-Huff

The tempo really needs to be even slower but, unfortunately, 40 is the lowest that it can be set. I know it's not perfect, but it'll help get you through the night. (Keeping in mind, iRP was always meant to be a practice tool and does have its limitations accompanying live performance, compared to other much more expensive apps.)
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Well, of course, it's sounds better at a slower tempo. It is fine for soloing at such slow tempo, but for a vocal tune, it can't be sung that slow. A little slower maybe, but certainly not at 40 bpm. Otherwise it will sound like a ballad.
    By the way, the purpose for me is mainly for practice not for live performance (I always believe that an audience deserve live musicians, not machines, especially if they pay a cover charge)
    Also, I'm not expecting a perfect tool. IRP is already a great tool. But the purpose of this post is to suggest additional styles that could be added in future releases. Some new styles have already been added recently, so I'm thinking other styles could be added as well to get a more complete app that could play almost any type of songs.
    In the pop category of IRP, the "soul" style is the most polyvalent one. It can be used in so many different styles. I wish the other pop styles could be as polyvalent.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    ...polyvalent....
    I learned a new word!

40 isn't the "real world" bpm, just a way to fool the Player. Here's the result:

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...8698#post38698

Oh, I see. Yes, that works well that way, as long as there are no more than 2 chords in bar, otherwise the player won't play it. In the song "Natural Woman", there are a few bars with 3 chords in the same bar. The chart you provided is simplified and good enough for practice, but for other people to read the chart, it's better for them to have those passing chords written down (if they are not familiar with the song), unless they play a more "open" version.
    Anyway, thanks for the tip. That's very useful and it could be use in many situations.
    I guess we still need to compromise between how we wish to have it written on a chart and how the IRP will play it.

Actually, for "Natural woman", the style "smooth" would be more appropriate because the swing feel is still needed.
    Here's below the chart (with tempo set as 55 bpm). Still cannot add more than 2 chords in a bar, the feel is closer to the original.

Natural Woman (C) - Goffin-King-Wexler
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 07-03-2016 at 08:22 AM.

I like your version too! Yes, each work-around has its drawbacks. I never meant to imply iRB couldn't benefit from more styles - I've requested a few myself. But it's kinda fun to try and fool the machine. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, also I suggested before to add an option to double/half the chord progression for any styles. That would make things easier and give more choices about different feel and grooves. Changing the meter can give some results but it has some limitations (like not being able to add more than 2 chords in a bar)