Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song for Bilbao - Pat Metheny

Default Song for Bilbao - Pat Metheny

If anyone has done Pat Metheny's Song for Bilbao it would be a big help to me right now! Thanks!
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-17-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejazz View Post
    If anyone has done Pat Metheny's Song for Bilbao it would be a big help to me right now! Thanks!
    I played this song in school
    Chords are in the A part in 2/2: C7sus4- Gbmaj7#11
    In the B part in 6/8: fmaj9- Bbmaj7-Ebmaj9-Fmaj-Dbmaj9-Ebmaj9-Fmaj9-Gmaj9 and then go to the A part again.
    Greets Thierry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry007 View Post
    I played this song in school
    Chords are in the A part in 2/2: C7sus4- Gbmaj7#11
    In the B part in 6/8: fmaj9- Bbmaj7-Ebmaj9-Fmaj-Dbmaj9-Ebmaj9-Fmaj9-Gmaj9 and then go to the A part again.
    Greets Thierry.
    Like this?
    Song For Bilbao
    )BOB

Thanks Bob - I'll have to check that out in the morning - I've got to play and solo on that tomorrow night for a concert.

Don't have time to iRB it, but thought I'd drop you a quick line since you need the changes quick.

The version (to my mind a lot hipper than what you find in RB2) on Tales from the Hudson goes like this:

A:
    4/4 ||: C7sus | % | % | % |
    | CPhryg | % | C7sus | % :||

B:
    6/8 || F Bb | Eb F | Db Eb | F G ||

rpt A

It's all about pentatonics and triad-pair hexatonic scales, quite a modern NYish sound. You can choose to think of the C Phryg chord as:
    Gbmaj7#4/C
    Abmaj7/C
    perhaps even
    Ghalfdim/C
    or
    Eb7/C

The B section really focuses on the pure triads (or pentatonic scales closest to them) - sort of like power chords. They do all the work you need. Particularly if you're playing with a pickup band it makes a lot of sense to stick really close to the melody each time you reach the B - gives everyone something to lock onto to keep the form. And the B section is so hip that an audience never gets tired of it.

Enjoy the gig.

Thanks Impromptu - those are the chords in the arrangement I've got for the concert - I really appreciate your comments et al.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejazz View Post
    Thanks Impromptu - those are the chords in the arrangement I've got for the concert - I really appreciate your comments et al.
    So more like this?

Song For Bilbao 1

)BOB

Default Song for Bilbao

Song For Bilbao - Pat Metheny
    I hope this is Song for Bilbao by Pat Metheny. When in play mode, after the first time through it repeats section A 3 times. Does any body know why this is?

Default Song for Bilbao, correct time signature on B section

Last edited by Gizmeister; 09-22-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morph114 View Post
    Song For Bilbao - Pat Metheny
    I hope this is Song for Bilbao by Pat Metheny. When in play mode, after the first time through it repeats section A 3 times. Does any body know why this is?
    Yes, because you put a repetition sign at the end of song and not an end section sign.