Thread: Practice mode tweaks

Default Practice mode tweaks

I wish practice mode would

• Use a separate repeat count from normal play mode. I always use 13 repeats in practice mode. It would be great if this were stored globally, rather than per-tune. (Also see my earlier wish for a global override for repeat counts.)
    • Let me repeat one or more times before key change. Often my ideal would be 3 repeats, to play chords, then head, then improv...and then move to next key.

This would be great in a future update.

Oh, and one more thing: toggle practice mode withou clearing the settings. I'd rather leave my normal setup (+10bpm, +5th, 13 repeats, 3 repeats per key change) and just turn practice mode off and on as desired.

totally agree

One more really helpful change: display the pending key change somewhere. I often go up major thirds in practice mode, to cover an octave in three hops, but in a quick tune I'm not always quite sure where we're going next. Not so hard to follow circle of fifths but other cycles are less obvious.

And yet another wish-list item: When using practice mode with speed increase, provide an option to do a count-in before each repeat. It's hard to nail the tempo when it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by spinality View Post
    And yet another wish-list item: When using practice mode with speed increase, provide an option to do a count-in before each repeat. It's hard to nail the tempo when it changes.
    Edit a duplicate, insert a measure or two of N.C. at the start of the section.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Edit a duplicate, insert a measure or two of N.C. at the start of the section.
    )BOB
    Thanks for the suggestion, which of course would work, but I go through dozens of tunes every week for the various set lists I'm playing from, and so I really don't want to litter up my song list with lots of temporary dups. I have enough titles in there already! So for now I will just deal with it. But playing really fast bebop heads, for example, it's awkward to find yourself slightly off the tempo. So if this and some of the other suggestions could ever find their way into a beefed up practice mode I'd be delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by spinality View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, which of course would work, but I go through dozens of tunes every week for the various set lists I'm playing from, and so I really don't want to litter up my song list with lots of temporary dups. I have enough titles in there already! So for now I will just deal with it. But playing really fast bebop heads, for example, it's awkward to find yourself slightly off the tempo. So if this and some of the other suggestions could ever find their way into a beefed up practice mode I'd be delighted.
    In the mean time, you might consider decreasing the size of the tempo increase interval setting that you are using.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    In the mean time, you might consider decreasing the size of the tempo increase interval setting that you are using.
    )BOB
    Thanks, another good suggestion, but not usually practical for my situation because I'm already spending as much time going through each tune's repetitions as I want to, and I usually want to get from fairly slow to quite fast -- say from 90 up to 260. Depends on the tune of course. Anyway, it's not a big problem; it's just something that, if there *were* a revamp of practice mode, it would be nice to include. In the meantime it's easy enough for me to stop the player and adjust the speed as needed.

Exclamation improved automatic transposition

These are really three feature requests.

1)
    I really like the automatic transposition feature because it quickly allows me to play a given chord progression in all 12 keys. However, as provided, it is of limited usefulness as, in practice, you can only change the key by semitones (up or down) and fourths (up or down) because only these intervals take you along all 12 keys.

This feature would be more useful if, in addition to the ability to select any interval, it would provide fixed sequences to choose from, e.g.
    major 2nd up -> +2, +4, +6, +8, +10 then +1, +3, +5, +7, +9, +11
    major 2nd down -> -2, -4, -6, -8, -10 then -1, -3, -5, -7, -9, -11
    minor 3rd up -> +3, +6, +9 then +1, +4, +7, +10 then +2, +5, +8, +11
    minor 3rd down -> ...
    major 3rd up -> +4, +8 then +1, +5, +9 then +2, +6, +10 then +3, +7, +11
    major 4rd down -> ...
    tritone -> +6 then +1, +7 then +2, +8 then +3, +9, then +4, +10 then +5, +11
    alternatively, the existing slider that allows to select any interval could be removed and 4 more sequences be added
    semitone up, semitone down, 4th up, 4th down

2)
    Currently, the only way to disable automatic transposition and automatic BPM increase is moving both sliders to zero. It would be great to have the ability to enable/disable this feature without touching those sliders and without even displaying the dialog that contains them. This can be done quite easily by turning the icon that brings up the dialog into an on/off switch:
    - if the feature is disabled, a tap displays the dialog (as in current version), so that user can enabled either transposition or BPM increase
    - if the feature is enabled, a single tap disables both automatic transposition and BPM increase, but without affecting slide values
    in practice, the only difference with current version is the - if the feature is already enabled and you want to display the dialog to move either slider, you need a double tap instead of a single tap.

3)
    Typically you use automatic transposition or BPM increase only for exercise songs. It would be great if these two settings were stored together with the song, rather than being global settings. For example, there might be a switch in the dialog, something like "save settings with song"
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-22-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion thread