Thread: Modesty Blues - John Dankworth (Cal Tjader)

Default Modesty Blues - John Dankworth (Cal Tjader)

I created this chart for Modesty Blues, as it appears in the original Real Book Vol. II. For feel, chart simply says, "Fast Latin." The head has a 44-bar form, followed by an 8-bar solo form. To simplify playback, I have included 3 choruses of the solo form at the end, enclosing each chorus in double bar lines. For more choruses over the solo form, substitute repeat signs for the double bar lines (in solo form, not head).

Modesty Blues RB II - Cal Tjader

Post Script: for better playbackof Modesty Blues, instead of 3x, set playback repeats to 1x. Thnx, Pygmy

For discussion about repeating solo sections, read this discussion:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...Herbie-Hancock
    )BOB

The composer is John Dankworth. While Cal Tjader, for some unfathomable reason, did record a Latin version of it, the song was originally written for the soundtrack of Modesty Blaise, a ridiculous 60's spy parody. If you'd like to inflict it upon yourself:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpC0NatYqU
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Pygmy,

This is one workaround for playing multiple solos with different changes from the Head.

Play the Head as an Intro. You can label the sections manually, as I've done. (You don't want to use the regular section head letters, because then the tune will keep returning to them.)

Then add the solos, with a regular section letter, and specify the number in the Repeats box at the bottom. This way you can keep track of the number of solo choruses you've played with the counter at the top right.

Add one extra solo chorus as a Coda so you can return back to the top of the Head.

As I say, this is a workaround that may not look so pretty, but compensates for the fact that iReal Pro only allows you one page per tune.

Modesty Blues RB II-Rev JE 2 - John Dankworth

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 06-30-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Elegant solution, Bob! Thanks. I didn't know I could type in how many times I wanted something to repeat. In that case, someone, maybe me, should do this to the solo section of the chart for Moanin', which repeats head & solo section virtually ad infinitum!

Dale, thanks for correcting composer credit.

Hello, Jer! Thanks for your suggestion. However I like the idea of simply specifying the number of times I want solo form to repeat. Didn't realize that was an option.

Jer, just noticed link to your chart, glanced over it, and see what you mean. Good to know every option! Thanks as always.

Pygmy,

Thanks.

I like to be able to check how many choruses I've played as I go along and, rather than trying to keep track in my head, whenever possible I prefer to rely on the counter at the upper right.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website