Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to set number of player-repeats for solo sections

Here's a slightly different solution.

The Intro and first Head are both in the Intro.

Then the A Section is the solos.

Then the last Head is the Coda.

This way you can keep track of the solo choruses using the counter at the upper right.

Maze, The-Rev JE - Herbie Hancock

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 06-30-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Great solution Jer!
    )BOB

Good idea, Jer!
    That works well. As long as we name each section as you did, it should be alright.
    For longer heads, we might run out of space if we need to write the head again as the coda. But for short tunes, this is a great alternative.

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    For longer heads, we might run out of space if we need to write the head again as the coda.
    True.

But remember, if you don't have to write anything extra in the measures, they can be reduced to one or two beats each and will still play four beats. That can cut a tune to as little as one-fourth of its original length.

The program offers the option to write a tune with 96 measures of two beats each. You can reduce those to one beat each and write 192 measures. That's the equivalent of six 32-bar tunes written out.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 07-01-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Yes, I'm aware of this.
    I often do this when possible for long tunes. But unfortunately, most of them often have 2, 3 chords in the same bar.

Yes, I have the same problem, as I like to write in bass note lines and passing chords.

Ah, well, longer charts are on the wish list thread.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

As said before, label the head as Intro, then label solo choruses A or B, use D.S. to go back to head. use fine or coda with the D.S.

I've tried that. It doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    As said before, label the head as Intro, then label solo choruses A or B, use D.S. to go back to head. use fine or coda with the D.S.
    The problem with this scheme is that at the end of the first solo section, the player goes back to the sign and doesn't repeat the solo section. Jerry's solution from June, 2016 is ingenious as it uses the normal counter to keep track of the number of times the chart has played. Below is a simple chart that illustrates how this works. I use the Swing Two/Four style to differentiate the sound of the head and solo sections.

Repeat Test - Keith

Yes, this is a good idea. But we still need to write once again the head at the end. This can work well with short tunes such as "the maze", but can quickly run out of space for longer 32 bars tunes if we have to write the head twice. In your example, we could also get a similar result by simply adding repeat bars for the solo section and specifying a number of repeats (8x for example) for that section.
    The best would be to have a new rehearsal mark called "out" (as "outro") in addition to the existing "in", "A", "B", "C" and "D" markers. That "out" marker would only be played once at the very end of the song. That would solve everything.