Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to set number of player-repeats for solo sections

Default How to set number of player-repeats for solo sections

I was wondering how the player would handle a tune such as "the maze" (Herbie Hancock), where the changes of the head are slightly different from the choruses.
    The head is only played twice (at the beginning and end of the song).
    I could eventually add repeat bars and a number of repeats in edit mode for the chorus/solo section but those repeats are limited to 8 times only I think.
    So if I use player's chorus repeat, it will always goes back to the changes of the head at each repeat.
    Maybe it's time to think of a different algorithm to handle repeats, d.s, d.c. and codas.
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 06-29-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Default How to set number of repeats for solos

Repeating a section within repeat brackets is not limited to 8x. (That's just the selection available in the text menu)

This chart will repeat solos 26x, 25 in the B-brackets and copied once more below (for 26) to warn you when the player is about to jump to the head.

Maze 1, The - Herbie Hancock

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-30-2016 at 01:04 PM.

It might be worth reconsidering the traditional concept of "a page". The iRB Player already has the ability to scroll longer charts, yes? Allowing an unlimited number of lines would eliminate the need for multiple pages, or short bars to squeeze tunes into one page, which makes the chart harder to read. There could still be "page break" indicators for printing hard copies. Mobile devices have revolutionized how we read books and listen to recordings. Maybe it's time for "sheet music" to evolve too.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Thanks, Bob.
    That's a good fix.
    I didn't know that the numbers of repeats is unlimited in edit mode.
    However, it would make more sense though to be able to change the number of choruses directly from the player mode to avoid switching back and forth from edit mode.
    Anyway, thanks for the advice.

p.s. this thread has disappeared from the iRP app forum page (or I cannot find it). Good thing that I've received a link of the post by email!

I moved it to its own song discussion thread. It seemed more of a song specific, support/functionality issue than a request for a new app feature. I forgot to leave a trail of bread crumbs.
    The player repeat setting sets the number of desired trips through the form top to bottom.
    Setting the number of section repeats is specific within the form as charted, and is designated as part of the chart.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-29-2016 at 11:04 PM.

I understand.
    Actually, this thread is not only about this particular tune. There are many tunes where the changes for solos are different from the head.
    In this situation, the repeats from the player (on the form) are not useful because the head is usually only played twice (at the beginning and at the end).
    I was just thinking of a more simple way for the player to repeat only the solo section (that could simply be done by adding a marker in edit mode to specify the beginning and the end of the solo section. Then, the repeats button in the player would only focus on that particular section.
    This would also allow the player to play more complex song structure when needed.

How about a "repeat section until screen is tapped" button.
    Much like a player would point to his head to signal "head-out".

Maybe it could even be done by air-turn.....

)BOB

Well, since most devices have a front and rear camera, it could just detect a head move (or a blinking eye) for a cue to exit the repeat section, just like in live situation!

Just don't sneeze....
    )BOB

That's a good one