Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to set number of player-repeats for solo sections

Thanks for your "out" idea.
    (or perhaps reprogram the coda-mark to permit the player to understand what's desired if the IN is to be repeated at the end as a coda.)

Since the A-section is already written in (hopefully) readable fashion, the final-out-coda A is only needed to get the player to play the correct form. For longer songs, the final A can be condensed beyond what the musician can read, with overlapping chords and impossibly variable spacing, the player will still work just fine. The musician can easily read and follow the "in" A at the top on the way out. To further avoid confusion you could include instructions for the musician using text.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-19-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    In your example, we could also get a similar result by simply adding repeat bars for the solo section and specifying a number of repeats (8x for example) for that section.
    This is the way I have written chord charts in the past. The issue is keeping track of how many repeats have been played and how many are there to go before going on to the next section. Jerry's solution keeps track of this with the normal counter in the upper-right corner. I agree with the suggestion of a new outro rehearsal mark, which would be a useful addition to iReal Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    (repeat bars 8x etc.) The issue is keeping track of how many repeats have been played and how many are there to go before going on to the next section.
    Keeping track of the player-repeat count-down indicator is better than getting surprised by the position indicator suddenly moving on. It's been previously suggested to add a copy of the repeating section after and outside of the repeat brackets so you'll know that when the curser moves-on, it's the final repeat. Controlling it with the player is much easier.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.

CyrilleB,

As Bob says, the problem with specifying the number of repeats with repeat bars and #X is that you have to keep track in your head. With say, 8 repeats, one could easily lose track.

The Coda is the "out" marker.

Tunes in which the Head and Solos are identical obviously are not a problem. The problem is when the Head and Solo sections differ, and there's not enough room to repeat the whole Head.

Here's a solution using Keith's example that requires just one extra bar instead of repeating the Head:

Put the D.S. command in a one-bar Coda, which takes you back to the Head in the Intro.

The FINE command is on G7, but it actually goes into the first beat of an imaginary next bar, which defaults to the (invisible) tonic chord, C.

Of course, if you want to add an extended ending this won't work. It would be good if there were additional "jump to" commands, like extra Codas.

Repeat Test 1-Rev JE - Keith

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 05-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Nice one Jer!
    Easier to understand by viewing the chart/seeing it in action.
    It's a good trick to have in your bag.
    )BOB

Thanks, Bob.

I rarely do this in practice, though, because I do like to put an extension on the end of a tune rather than end it abruptly.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

A D.S. al Fine within a coda! Jer, this is a most imaginative approach. I think that Cyrille's suggestion for an outro rehearsal mark would be a useful addition to the editor. Also, as I sometimes use the same material as an intro and an outro, it might be useful to have an intro-outro rehearsal mark as well.

Our problems seem to emanate from the limitation of the number of lines that an iRP chart can have. This leads to the confusion around the use of the coda mark. Normally, a coda is only played once in a music score, at the very end. However, many charts use D.C (or D.S.) al Coda within them in order to avoid repeating a line or two; in this case the "coda" is played each time the chart is run through, making the "coda" part of each repetition instead of a true coda section. I've often rewritten charts that I have downloaded to remove the coda sign and replace it by a third ending when I have the space to do so. If our charts could vertically scroll, so that we could have more than thirteen lines in a chart, many of our problems with codas, repeats, and the like would disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    A D.S. al Fine within a coda! Jer, this is a most imaginative approach. I think that Cyrille's suggestion for an outro rehearsal mark would be a useful addition to the editor. Also, as I sometimes use the same material as an intro and an outro, it might be useful to have an intro-outro rehearsal mark as well.

Our problems seem to emanate from the limitation of the number of lines that an iRP chart can have. This leads to the confusion around the use of the coda mark. Normally, a coda is only played once in a music score, at the very end. However, many charts use D.C (or D.S.) al Coda within them in order to avoid repeating a line or two; in this case the "coda" is played each time the chart is run through, making the "coda" part of each repetition instead of a true coda section. I've often rewritten charts that I have downloaded to remove the coda sign and replace it by a third ending when I have the space to do so. If our charts could vertically scroll, so that we could have more than thirteen lines in a chart, many of our problems with codas, repeats, and the like would disappear.
    Keith,

Oh, yes, indeed!

I suppose we're lucky iReal Pro is as versatile as it is, as it was originally intended just as a practice tool, and the creator subsequently added more features to satisfy the expanded use of the users.

It's ridiculously cheap at only, what, $20? I'd gladly pay $100 for some of the additional features we've been asking for.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

The problem is that we always have to compromise between having a clear, easy to read chart (that follows standard music convention) and a chart that can be played as intended by iRealPro player.
    I usually put the priority on having a clear chart that anyone can sight read.
    The idea of the outro rehearsal mark is simply because there way iRealPro is handling the coda is not standard.
    Usually the coda finishes the song. It should never go back to any part of the song once the coda has been played. Third endings is the way to go, but it doesn't work always as intended. I had some situations where the player just skipped the 2nd and 3rd ending (in a repeated section for example)
    If the coda system were acting like a real coda, many problems would be solved.
    I just think that if the developers would spend time to fix a couple of things regarding the coda, repeats, endings, we could have a fully functional​ player.

CyrilleB,

The problem is that the program was never intended to be a fully functional, all-purpose tool, but only a practice aid. Features were added to satisfy user requests, so it's now a mix of bandaids.

We have different uses for the program. I use it for backing tracks, not as chord lead sheets, so it doesn't matter to me if I violate notation conventions, as long as the thing will play what I need.

However, while a Coda should never go back to the tune, I don't find it hard to read when it does on a one-page chart. It's unconventional, but not indecipherable.

I heartily agree that it would be great if the developers would make the whole thing more useful. As I said, I'd be willing to pay a lot more for it.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website