Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rousseau MusicPad

Default Rousseau MusicPad

Reading melody above chords works great! I've done this with about 40 jazz standards but can't post them because of copyright.

Merging melody (in numbered notation) directly into an existing iReal b song is something the next version of Rousseau MusicPad will do once Apple gets iReal b out of "Waiting for Review" status and testing can start.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman View Post
    Merging melody (in numbered notation) directly into an existing iReal b song is something the next version of Rousseau MusicPad will do ...
    This is interesting Norman, how do you think the dots will be input?

Maybe a comma instead of a dot as in Judy Garland's 1 '1 | ,7 56 7'1 | (which should be posted). I read that better in ASCII.

Hello Norman, you could use combining diacritics...
    (hopefully this song code remains intact.)

Rousseau

Hopefully our song code will not change in the future such that using certain glyphs might not work or create corruption. We will have to take into consideration using these techniques if they start being used in iReal b.

Hey, diacritics look great in the text line! And they seem to transfer OK. On a Mac they are easy to enter with Character Viewer but in iOS and Web Editor it may not be possible.

Thanks for the idea!

... diacritics look great in the text line! ..in iOS and Web Editor it may not be possible.
    Hello Norman,
    I used 9Chars app on my ipad to input. In testing on my ipod touch, the dots are quite small. I am currently researching information for preparing Nashville charts so have been looking at glyphs in the past few weeks for a some of their specialized notations.
    I am not sure using these specialized characters will work with the web editor, with backups via email, in the future etc. (even now our song code can sometimes get corrupted) so we need to be careful using them. If there are workarounds using normal text (like you have, using the comma etc.) then they are likely to be more stable.
    My example (previous post) does not import into the web editor.
    For important iReal b charts, they could be exported as jpg once completed, so at least they still can be seen!

In your 1742 project,
    http://www.normanschmidt.net/abc/Rousseau.htm
    you refer to Part one. Is there a Part two?

The second part of Rousseau's project talks about time signatures, the comma for separating beats in a measure, the 0 for a rest and adding rhythmic detail with lines above or below the numbers. Some of his manuscripts (18th century) have numbered changes (not figured bass) below the melody line, very similar to Nashville notation.

Norman, the update to iReal b is out.

Congratulations for iReal b! You guys really knew how to take on a challenge.

Since the file format didn't change I can now test melody import/export (via the clipboard) for the next Rousseau MusicPad update. It should be available in a week or two. Thanks for your help.

Smile rhythm notation

Reading melody above chords works great! I've done this with about 40 jazz standards but can't post them because of copyright.

Merging melody (in numbered notation) directly into an existing iReal b song is something the next version of Rousseau MusicPad will do once Apple gets iReal b out of "Waiting for Review" status and testing can start.
    I'd like to see ireal b have the facility to display rhythm notation, possibly as an addition to the writing box by using numbers as note values. Or the addition of a drop down box. This would make the charts better when shared for playing with others.