Thread: Swing Two-Four style improvement

Default Swing Two-Four style improvement

I have complained in the past about the "two" part of the Swing Two/Four style being rhythmically dead. Therefore I arranged this song specifically to be used with the Ballad Swing style by writing in a walking bass line in the bridge of the tune. For those who haven't noticed the difference between these styles, first try this arrangement with the Two/Four style and then with the Ballad Swing style. You should immediately notice how much more lively the A sections sound with the Ballad Swing style. Thus, I appeal to our esteemed iRP developers to fix the Swing Two/Four style.

chart posted for example:

I've Told Eve'ry Little Star (K's rev) - Jerome Kern
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-01-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: <helping...> :))BOB

Hi Keith,
    I see what you mean. At 120bpm the 2/4swing A section feels almost like stop-time. Keep in mind that the 2/4 style's default tempo is 180bpm and the faster tempo would impart a considerably more lively feel.
    Ballad Swing's default tempo is 60bpm and at 120 (double-speed) it really cooks.
    That said, your comments, suggestions and musical contributions are always welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks man!
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-01-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Hi Bob,

I generally play my ballads faster than 60 bpm. Most are at least 80 or 90 bpm and the Ballad Swing style really sounds good here. I really love the idea of the two-four style at tempi slower than 180, but I cringe every time I use it. I suggest that the algorithm of the Ballad Swing style be used for the "two" section and the "four" section be left alone. That would, in my opinion, fix the problem. They developers needn't delete the present Two/Four style for those who like it. They can add a second Two/For style, perhaps calling it Ballad Two/Four to distinguish it from the present Swing Two/Four.

Thanks for the complement. I love this app and use it every time I sit at the piano.

Keith