Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipad Pro - 12.9"? Anyone using one for IRealPro?

Default Ipad Pro - 12.9"? Anyone using one for IRealPro?

My old Ipad 4 is on it's last legs and I'm looking to upgrade. Irealpro is my main use for the tablet musically and while the smaller pro would be great the larger unit would come in really handy for work .

Is anyone using one at all?

For the developers, a couple of questions?

1. Will the irp chart screen fill out the 12.9" while in vertical mode like it does on a 9.7" ipad? And will the resolution be fine (IE it's not a zoomed/stretched picture)?

2. IRP will support split view multitasking at all? I would love to run this and my mixing desk software at the same time....

3. The new IOS 9 supports air turn pedals still?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmaniac69 View Post
    My old Ipad 4 is on it's last legs and I'm looking to upgrade. Irealpro is my main use for the tablet musically and while the smaller pro would be great the larger unit would come in really handy for work .

Is anyone using one at all?

For the developers, a couple of questions?

1. Will the irp chart screen fill out the 12.9" while in vertical mode like it does on a 9.7" ipad? And will the resolution be fine (IE it's not a zoomed/stretched picture)?

2. IRP will support split view multitasking at all? I would love to run this and my mixing desk software at the same time....

3. The new IOS 9 supports air turn pedals still?

Thanks.
    This weekend I'm attending a music retreat in the woods (PSGW). There are a couple of iPAD pro's here. (Wow)
    Compared to my mini, they are HUUUUUGE.

Here's my "guess" at answers (I could be wrong, batteries not included, your mileage may vary...)
    1. Yes,yes. The charts filled the screen in portrait and were also very legible in landscape as well. With the menu side-bar...
    2. I did not see this in operation, but split-screen multi-tasking is reported to be available in the latest iOS.
    3. So far as I know, yes.
    Full-screen pdf notation charts are displayed wonderfully on the iPad pro ...not have airturn? I think not.
    I can't imagine airturn not being available on the pro...
    Hopefully you will receive definitive confirmation from actual "users".
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-08-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    This weekend I'm attending a music retreat in the woods (PSGW). There are a couple of iPAD pro's here. (Wow)
    Compared to my mini, they are HUUUUUGE.

Here's my "guess" at answers (I could be wrong, batteries not included, your mileage may vary...)
    1. Yes,yes. The charts filled the screen in portrait and were also very legible in landscape as well. With the menu side-bar...
    2. I did not see this in operation, but split-screen multi-tasking is reported to be available in the latest iOS.
    3. So far as I know, yes.
    Full-screen pdf notation charts are displayed wonderfully on the iPad pro ...not have airturn? I think not.
    I can't imagine airturn not being available on the pro...
    Hopefully you will receive definitive confirmation from actual "users".
    )BOB

Hi Mate, thanks for the reply. I actually answered a couple of my own questions after I posted:

2. The latest version of IRB does support multitasking and the ipad pro.

3. Bluetooth page turners are still supported.

I agree compared to the normal ipad and the mini they do look pretty huge, however having the landscape view with the menu side bar would be awesome. It's too small to use on my Ipad 4 with my bad eyes!

We tested the large iPad Pro just after release and you should be pleased with its performance (apparently it runs faster than the newer but smaller iPad Pro, with a higher CPU speed and more RAM) so would be more efficient for your audio recording in many ways. For instance with the large screen, Auria (recording software) has a much better (slightly different, not just scaled up) layout for the mixer section because of more room vertically and fader throws are nice and long in portrait. It does not feel so confined when doing audio editing, setting parameters etc.

Like other iPads, you can use Audiobus, IAA (interapp audio) or share audio from iReal Pro to many audio apps (like GB, Cubasis etc.) with the usual Open in or Audio copy (depending on which apps support these).

Using either the split screen or slide-over works well, where you can view a PDF and operate iReal Pro at the same time. This is useful for live performance or perhaps editing the song while referring to the PDF.
    If in landscape, it shows the chart about the same size as your iPad in portrait, with the song list at the side and much larger in portrait. There is no distortion of the iReal Pro chart at the large size (it stays in proportion). Many who have their music stand further from their eyes than usual (like acoustic bass or tuba players for instance) prefer the larger size.

I hope this helps. I would think it would suit your needs very well.

If you get it, run a backup on the old one, email to the iPad Pro and use Copy to ... iReal Pro for all the playlists and songs to load in.

Thanks dflat, this was also what I was after. I find the Ipad4 is still ok for charts however it is getting slower each IOS upgrade (ala Apples built in "redundancy"...) and Garage band, Any Tune etc. all run pretty slow on it. I was looking at an Ipad air 2 but when they released the ipad pro 9.7" I was sure I was going for that one. However the more I look at the bigger unit the more I'm sure I'll go for that one as it will not only help with workflow musically but I can also use it at work for note taking and other such. I also discovered that the 9.7 has had the CPU throttled and only has 2 gb of ram, which is not a biggie at this stage but will be in the future.

And I'm constantly backing up, I actually have irealpro on my mac, ipad and Android phone so they are all at the same state. i stopped emailing backups and lists ages ago. I use the Box cloud software to store all of my ireal files and can access them anywhere when needed.

That said, it would be great when you guys finally get it all to master sync automagically.. that would be great!

Unfortunately most devices slow down over time not just Apple ones (caches, iterations of the OS, app updates optimised for particular OSs etc.) It is just how it is with technology isn't it? [groan]

I do find the iPad Pro (12.9) sometimes too large so I use it for specific purposes but I do not have the keyboard for it (would probably use it a little more generally if I did). The 9.7 is smaller, compact and I still prefer it for (on-screen) typing and it fits in my normal bag so I can take it to a cafe and it will not take up much room if the tables are small.
    The Pro is good for music, reading notation or preparing notation, audio recording and editing, layout, design because of the large screen and more apps taking advantage of the size to change their layout to be more efficient.

Also it depends on how far away your iPad is from your eyes—on a table or on your lap (which is further away), its angle, what the apps do and where you are. Sometimes if the 12.9 is on a table, it is just a little too large, meaning too close to my eyes than I would like. Hopefully you can have a play with the larger one (best would be using some of the apps you use) before you decide, but overall I think you would appreciate its benefits.

You might find you can still use your iPad 4, clean it out and leave in a few apps you will use where its size is more suitable—assuming there are some and perhaps leave iReal Pro so you have a backup device for gigs etc. I sometimes midi keyboard to my 9.7 with a synth app, audio out to the audio interface connected to the Pro 12.9 running a recording app. It means I do not need to have everything on my Pro (limited storage once you start recording audio) and do not need to change screens all the time to make parameter adjustments. Two apps, two screens.

Are you aware of apps like Duet and Air display where you can use your iPad as another monitor for your Mac? You could use your 9.7 size already, but the 12.9 would work very well with Logic (or similar) for viewing the mixer, score or timeline at a decent size alongside your Mac screen.

So an update.. I've now owned the 12.9 for about 3 weeks now and am loving it. Yes it is huge and a little unwieldy at some times but TBH that is totally outweighed by how productive I am with the unit.

I now use IRB in Landscape mode and have the playlist on the left, almost full charts on the right and it's perfect. I use it on a music stand at the moment as I am waiting for my microphone stand holder to come in. And it's fast, so much faster than my old unit.

The multitasking works well, I mainly use IRB and iTunes or YouTube when learning songs and although I still prefer to use my Mac to input charts I can get around pretty well with an old Mac Bluetooth keyboard and the pencil. It is not as fast but better than it was on my old I pad 4!

In fact I'm typing this on the unit now, as my Mac has died and I'm having no luck fixing it at this stage. The 12.9 with the keyboard is close to a computer substitute. It's not there as you donat have a mouse, but I'm getting work and charts etc. done easily enough. My wife has a Mac as well and I have IRB on there as well, but I'm doing most of my charts etc. on the iPad as she's on here Mac all the time.

GarageBand is great, and I've imported a lot of jazz standards audio less the bass into it and am having fun laying down tracks to songs I'm not that good at. And for other audio products it's great as well (Jamup, Mobile Pod etc.) and the audio quality if great.

I would recommend that you get the Apple Pencil if you haven't already. Yeah, it's expensive ($170 here in Australia!!) but worth every penny. I use it for my day job, it's replaced my note books and it's all saved and ready to go.

I will say that all up the unit will have cost me the price of a MacBook after the pencils, cases, etc are all taken into account, but for me this is far more useful, especially on stage and in rehearsals etc. I've done about 6 gigs so far with the new iPad and 3 band members have already gone out and bought new ones after seeing it. I should get commission!

As for my old iPad, the plan was to sell it to recoupe some $$ however my wife has comandeered it for herself..

Quote Originally Posted by bassmaniac69 View Post
    So an update.. I've now owned the 12.9 for about 3 weeks now and am loving it. Yes it is huge and a little unwieldy at some times but TBH that is totally outweighed by how productive I am with the unit.

I now use IRB in Landscape mode and have the playlist on the left, almost full charts on the right and it's perfect. I use it on a music stand at the moment as I am waiting for my microphone stand holder to come in. And it's fast, so much faster than my old unit.

The multitasking works well, I mainly use IRB and iTunes or YouTube when learning songs and although I still prefer to use my Mac to input charts I can get around pretty well with an old Mac Bluetooth keyboard and the pencil. It is not as fast but better than it was on my old I pad 4!

In fact I'm typing this on the unit now, as my Mac has died and I'm having no luck fixing it at this stage. The 12.9 with the keyboard is close to a computer substitute. It's not there as you donat have a mouse, but I'm getting work and charts etc. done easily enough. My wife has a Mac as well and I have IRB on there as well, but I'm doing most of my charts etc. on the iPad as she's on here Mac all the time.

GarageBand is great, and I've imported a lot of jazz standards audio less the bass into it and am having fun laying down tracks to songs I'm not that good at. And for other audio products it's great as well (Jamup, Mobile Pod etc.) and the audio quality if great.

I would recommend that you get the Apple Pencil if you haven't already. Yeah, it's expensive ($170 here in Australia!!) but worth every penny. I use it for my day job, it's replaced my note books and it's all saved and ready to go.

I will say that all up the unit will have cost me the price of a MacBook after the pencils, cases, etc are all taken into account, but for me this is far more useful, especially on stage and in rehearsals etc. I've done about 6 gigs so far with the new iPad and 3 band members have already gone out and bought new ones after seeing it. I should get commission!

As for my old iPad, the plan was to sell it to recoupe some $$ however my wife has comandeered it for herself..
    Hi, do you use any device to attach the large iPad Pro to your music stand to keep it from falling off during a gig.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

So, is there anyway to hide the playlist and shift the chart to the left so I can bring in a notes page from iOS?

Quote Originally Posted by janprimus View Post
    So, is there anyway to hide the playlist and shift the chart to the left so I can bring in a notes page from iOS?
    I just watched a guy with an iPad pro do that.
    In landscape orientation as he slid the multi-task window containing his notes program into the iRp screen from the right, the song list sidebar slid off to the left.
    )BOB