Thread: Trumpet and piano transposing

Default Trumpet and piano transposing

My transposing skills aren't great and I want to duet with my son who plays a (B flat) trumpet.

Can I source the online real book of jazz/pop standards which he can read from and I can accompany on piano?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

lolsass

Quote Originally Posted by lolsass View Post
    My transposing skills aren't great and I want to duet with my son who plays a (B flat) trumpet.

Can I source the online real book of jazz/pop standards which he can read from and I can accompany on piano?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

lolsass
    Sorry. It's unclear what you're asking for.

If you're the piano player you don't have to transpose, your son does.

He needs a Bb Real Book and you need a C Real Book.

If you're talking about iReal Pro, you'd need to have the program on two devices, one to read the chords in concert key and one to read the chords transposed for trumpet.

Here's one free source for the first three (unauthorized) Real Books on line in PDF format, for C and Bb instruments.

http://www.swiss-jazz.ch/partitions-...ok.htm#Volume1
    http://www.swiss-jazz.ch/partitions-...ok.htm#Volume2
    http://www.swiss-jazz.ch/partitions-...ok.htm#Volume3

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

If you have two devices running iReal Pro, make sure the same songs are on both and are set to the same key. Set the trumpet device to global transpose to Bb. (Information in More>Tutorials.)
    If you only have one device, you might be able to easily print out one instrument's copies of the songs in its key, then use the device for the other instrument; or email some PDFs to another device that does not run iReal Pro.
    When you are not available to practice, he can set iReal Pro to global transpose Bb, and use the player to practice with.
    Remember setting the key in song view (bottom right) is the concert key. The global transpose (Bb for trumpet, or C for your piano) will change the chords for the that instrument if necessary.
    If the player is used, it will play in concert (piano) key (ignoring any global transpose) but showing the transposing instrument key.

If you want a weird way of reading off the same device for both of you, turn global transpose to Bb, choose the key for the song, change the font to piano. The trumpet would read off the (smaller) chords above the piano diagram font, but you would read the diagrams (it shows where your fingers go, ignore the chord symbols). It could be fun for you if you are getting bored.

Or you can use a split screen (iOS 9 later devices) where one side shows iReal Pro and the other a PDF of the chart for the other instrument.
    Last edited by dflat; 04-27-2016 at 04:58 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Thank you very much for this contribution. Very useful. Greetings from Buenos Aires.