Thread: Problem with Endings

Default Problem with Endings

Second Section Doesn't Repeat Entirely

Is this a problem everyone has, or is it just me?

Here is a sample tune in two sections, A and B. Each section has a head with a bridge and 3 endings.

The A section plays through, then the B section.

The B section has a forward repeat and a repeat at the end of the 3rd ending.

As it should after the 3rd ending, it jumps back to the top of the B section.

But the B section only plays as far as its 1st ending and then jumps up to the top of the A section. It doesn't play the B section all the way through the second time.

This seems to me to be a bug. It's annoying because it forces one to write out the entire B section without separate endings in order to play the section multiple times.

Sample Endings Problem - Jerry Engelbach

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Hi Jer,
    So, A=A1,A2,A3
    B=B1,B2,B3

And you'd like the player to play ABB as the "form" ? Always repeating ABB, ABB ?
    Like this:

Sample Endings Problem 1 - Jerry Engelbach

Form repeats set in player. Form ends with the 2nd B.

For more repeats of the B-section try this:
    This chart plays ABBBBA (once) (with the player set to 4x)
    Form starts and ends with your A-section with an adjustable number of B-repeats.
    Remove the coda to end on B.
    Your A relabeled as In.
    Your B relabeled as A.
    Form starts and ends with A, B repeated per player setting.

Sample Endings Problem 2 - Jerry Engelbach

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-22-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks very much, Bob.

Your second example is closer to what I want.

I see what you did, and it's very clever. Making the A section an Intro makes it not repeat with the main body until ordered to by the Coda. I didn't know that it was possible to make the Intro play again.

However, using the Coda for this doesn't allow me to create a separate Coda for a tag, which is one of the things I wanted to be able to do, rather than just end flatly in the A section.

Any idea why in my example the repeat sign at the end of the third ending doesn't result in a replay of my whole B section? Is it a bug?

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Any idea why in my example the repeat sign at the end of the third ending doesn't result in a replay of my whole B section? Is it a bug?
    Jer,
    You could call it a bug, but it does not find any measure after the 3rd time closing repeat to jump to (as it found with the previous voltas) so it thinks it is the end of the sequence just there as you see (making no sense to us).

To explain (for others reading this), a normal repeat (no voltas) will mean at the closing repeat, it will play again from the opening repeat (unless it has already done this) then continue to the next measure (if there are any after that closing repeat), otherwise that is the end of the sequence (or form).

With voltas, it plays through in a similar way, continuing with the measure after the closing repeat (skipping any ending section it has already played). Your closing repeat in the 3rd time section indicates exactly the same as has previously happened in the 1st and 2nd … play from the opening repeat, until the measure before the 1st time section, then jump to the measure after the last closing repeat you were just at. But there is none there, so the sequence stops (seemingly mysteriously).
    (You will not need to actually do this, but if you create a 4th time section using the blank volta line in the editor, placed after your 3rd, you will see what it does—skips to there after the third. Just don't put another closing repeat at its end.)

The ultima volta (final ending) typically does not have a closing repeat. I do not recall ever having seen one—not that this means anything at all or if anyone would know what you intend. Have you seen this, is it common? Do you usually use it in your arrangements?
    As Bob has shown, I think normally a D.S. would be used with a double barline (rather than the repeat).

dflat,

You're right, it's not a bug. I understand exactly what you're saying. Thanks very much. I appreciate the explanation.

The only solution for me if I want multiple repeats plus a tag is to write the whole tune out at the end, since there aren't two coda symbols:

Sample Endings Problem 3 - Jerry Engelbach

No, I haven't used the closing repeat sign in any arrangements, because there's always enough room to write out the tune. I've been trying to cram whole arrangements into the tiny space available in iReal Pro.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 04-23-2016 at 02:15 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website