Thread: starting over - initialize iRealPro and download new "Jazz 1300 Standards" etc

Default starting over - initialize iRealPro and download new "Jazz 1300 Standards" etc

After using iRealBook for 4 years, I feel like my song library is pretty messy. I downloaded charts willy nilly for a while, and played around with the editor making copies etc.

I think about doing an "Erase All Content and Settings" and starting over, downloading "Jazz 1300 Standards" etc all over again.

I should probably backup everything first. I'll probably want to re-import some of my playlists from the backup, but not everything.

Any thoughts on going about this?

Thanks...Lyle

Hello Lyle,
    Some thoughts here:
    Run More>Backup and email to yourself. Definitely do this. (Check email to be sure it arrives. Tapping on the backup file should list the backup and your playlists for individual import. If you do need to import the complete backup, use Open in … iReal Pro.)

More>Erase all content…
    You can then import the playlists from forums (and if desired, delete (swipe) the forum playlist names—don’t move the songs to the trash.) Then construct your playlists and import from your backup.

If you do import individual playlists from your backup, exact duplicate song files (now already there) are not imported and your playlists will appear as they used to. However if there are duplicate song titles (but edited—different chords, text etc.) the imported songs will have a number (1, 2 …) appended to their titles, so you might see some of your original playlists contain songs with this number added where previously they did not. (The song chart in your original playlist (now imported) will be the same, it is just that the title now has an appended number.)

If this is going to be annoying, after you Erase all content..., use your backup to import your playlists first. The song titles will remain as they are within each playlist because there are no other songs in the app. Then import the Jazz 1300 playlist (and any others) after this and any songs in the forum playlists with the same title (but different in some way) will be appended with the number instead.

If there are songs you have edited but not in any of your playlists, you might want to put them into a separate playlist before doing anything so they can be imported together. You could share the playlist to email or it will be within your backup when you create it.

Others might like to describe what they do.

Thanks. Great explanation....and a great product!

...Lyle