Thread: Key changes (modulations) within song - number notation

Default Key changes (modulations) within song - number notation

We jazz players have 2-5-1's all over the place.
    It's often easier to think of a 2-5-1 (or similar changes) as being in a temporary new key.

Case in point: Blue Bossa:
    Measures 5 through 8 are a standard 2-5-1 in the key of C minor.
    Measures 9 through 12 are shown in number font as b3-6-b2.
    It's much easier, however, to think of measures 9 through 12 as a 2-5-1 in the temporary new key of Db major.

There are countless other songs with temporary key changes.
    Can iRealPro incorporate this?

I don't know?? Could be a big can-0-worms As a jazzer gone bluegrass I think you should just go with the b3 -6 b2 . The Nashville guys have been doing it for quite awhile. Relate it all to the original key then transposing is a breeze.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by cerveau View Post
    It's much easier, however, to think of measures 9 through 12 as a 2-5-1 in the temporary new key of Db major.
    There are countless other songs with temporary key changes.
    Can iRealPro incorporate this?
    It does not currently. I understand what you mean as this can happen in a section (like bridge, chorus) where it is in another key and indicated as you are suggesting. There are no plans to add this. I presume you are using the player, because if it was just a chart you were wanting, you could add text to indicate the key as you normally would on paper but create the chords as if based in the one key so the numbers translate correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    I don't know?? Could be a big can-0-worms As a jazzer gone bluegrass I think you should just go with the b3 -6 b2 . The Nashville guys have been doing it for quite awhile. Relate it all to the original key then transposing is a breeze.
    Really?... Well thanks for educating me here... I would have thought the Nashvillers would just say something like: "do a 2-5 to the 4", or "do a 2-5 to b3", because that transposes just as easy, and is still easier (in my mind at least) to understand the underlying pattern.
    I know of many jazzer guitarists who like me use the system I'm referring to, but hey, if Nashvillers do it like you say, then hey... you bluegrasser and Nashviller guys are pretty awesome musicians so I'll take that under advisement.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    It does not currently. I understand what you mean as this can happen in a section (like bridge, chorus) where it is in another key and indicated as you are suggesting. There are no plans to add this. I presume you are using the player, because if it was just a chart you were wanting, you could add text to indicate the key as you normally would on paper but create the chords as if based in the one key so the numbers translate correctly.
    Great idea, dflat!
    Why didn't I think of that?... ;-)
    Thx!

Btw, that would make for a nice blog article.

For anyone else interested:
    Sometimes a minor song is written in numbers set in its relative major, so in this example, it would start with 6-
    and if you want to be 'true' to the generic nature of NN, you might then add some text like 'mod down b7 (b7 = 1)' for that section
    (Eb to Db)

(If you start off as 1- you could make it clear that the mod up a half step (or b2) is in a major key just for aural reference, but I suppose it does not really matter)
    (Cm to Db maj)

Also if I was doing a chart only I would write some text somewhere otherwise someone might Play it and it would be completely wrong