Thread: Let's Dance - David Bowie

Default Let's Dance - David Bowie

Let's Dance - David Bowie

Revised version of this song - added bass notes in the A section (I like the Moog Bass). The N.C.'s on beat #4 in the measures before the bass notes are to make the player play only bass notes. I know the bass notes don't exactly replicate what's on the original recording, we'd need 8th notes

The chord in the 1st measure of the A section is actually Bbm7 w/ an added suspended 4th (the notes I hear over the Bb bass note are Ab, Bb, Db & Eb). Since that chord is not an option in iReal (it's not the same as a minor 11, which adds the 9th), my workaround if I want a min7sus4 chord is to use a maj 6/9 chord of the relative major chord, over the bass note of the minor chord. In this case, Db 6-9/Bb.

I also tried to replicate the crescendo/stacking major chords of the Intro by adding different chord colors to the Eb chord.

Pop-Funk at 118 bpm

Let's Dance revised - David Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by MCJazzer View Post
    Revised version of this song - added bass notes in the A section (I like the Moog Bass). The N.C.'s on beat #4 in the measures before the bass notes are to make the player play only bass notes. I know the bass notes don't exactly replicate what's on the original recording, we'd need 8th notes

The chord in the 1st measure of the A section is actually Bbm7 w/ an added suspended 4th (the notes I hear over the Bb bass note are Ab, Bb, Db & Eb). Since that chord is not an option in iReal (it's not the same as a minor 11, which adds the 9th), my workaround if I want a min7sus4 chord is to use a maj 6/9 chord of the relative major chord, over the bass note of the minor chord. In this case, Db 6-9/Bb.

I also tried to replicate the crescendo/stacking major chords of the Intro by adding different chord colors to the Eb chord.

Pop-Funk at 118 bpm

Let's Dance revised - David Bowie
    Thanks for your detailed and helpful explanation.
    )BOB

You're welcome! Heard the song played at a wedding recently, just had to figure it out .

For the Bb-7(add11), you could also use a Eb9sus/Bb

Thanks, yea, that Eb9sus/Bb works just as well, & is perhaps easier to find on the fly. I use this chord quite a bit, depending on how well it can be voiced on the guitar. For notating for the iReal player, I like using the 6/9 chord of the relative major (still thinking of it as a minor chord), because the relative majorminor relationship helps me remember what to call it. Although, using your spelling, I could just remember to use a 9sus of the maj IV of the minor chord (the IV of Bb min is an Eb7 chord). Thx!