Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ain't No Cure For Love (Jennifer Warnes) - Leonard Cohen

Default Ain't No Cure For Love (Jennifer Warnes) - Leonard Cohen

I cannot figure out how to enter a song efficiently with the following structure:

1) Introduction.
    2) Verse.
    3) Verse repeated, but with the last few measures different.
    4) Bridge.
    5) Verse, last few measures as in (3) above.
    6) Bridge repeated, with the last few measures different.

I can get (2) and (3) by using a first and second ending. But now the bridge is part of the second ending. I can put a backward repeat at the end of the bridge, but now I don't see how to vary the last part of the bridge.

Can anyone help? Obviously I could cut and paste the whole bridge, but I'd rather not.

For good measure, I wouldn't mind being able to put a coda after the second bridge.

Here is a solution. Consider:

Introduction = I
    Verse = A or A' (with different ending)
    Bridge = B or B' (with different ending)

Your entire structure is: IAA'BA'B'. You'd like a coda too.

My solution is to write out the I and A sections, then do the A'BA'B' with first and second endings. The coda sign is in the second ending.

There may be a fancier way to do it but this simple solution works.

2016 test - Keith88
    Last edited by Keith88; 02-02-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Text insertion

The thing is that if A and A' differ by only a few measures at the end, the usual way to write it is with first and second endings. Similarly for B and B'. What I'm seeking is a way to write the IAA'BA'B' structure without having to repeat the chords that A and A' or B and B' have in common.

I know that's what you want to do and it makes perfect sense. However think about this: how would you write out your structure on staff paper if you didn't have to concern yourself with how iRP works? Where would you place the repeat signs and multiple endings? I think my solution is pretty efficient and, if the various sections are not too long, permit a one-page chord chart. Let us know if you come up with another solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    I know that's what you want to do and it makes perfect sense. However think about this: how would you write out your structure on staff paper if you didn't have to concern yourself with how iRP works? Where would you place the repeat signs and multiple endings? I think my solution is pretty efficient and, if the various sections are not too long, permit a one-page chord chart. Let us know if you come up with another solution!
    If I were writing it out by hand, I might label the second ending as "2, 3" (i.e., 2nd and 3rd ending), then put a coda marking near the end of the B section.

Ark, I thought about that solution (or using first, second, and third endings) as well as trying to use a DS al Sign. However, you stated that you wanted a true coda (assuming you want to play through the AA'BA'B' structure more than once). In your solution, you are using the coda to create B' and you can't have two codas! All this to avoid repeating a couple of lines of chords. As I said, if the A and B sections are not too long, my solution fits on a single iRP page. You lose nothing by writing out the entire A section and creating A'BA'B' using first and second endings.

The whole thing is a nice riddle. What song are you trying to enter?

I don't need to play through the AA'BA'B' structure more than once--but if I use a coda symbol, it appears that the "coda" is played only the firsttime through, not the second.

The song is here.

I think the best way to work through questions like this is on the actual iReal pro song chart rather than in the abstract hypothetical.
    First, post an iRp chart of what you want....even if it runs over TWO pages. Then folks can come up with suggestions to condense it by shortening bars, using 1st and 2nd endings, repeating parts of the form and using a coda.

Keith's suggestion is a good one: start with a "reader" chart and then work towards a "player" chart of the desired arrangement.
    More:
    PLAYER CHARTS vs. READER CHARTS
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...5854#post25854

So, please start a discussion thread In the best forum for that song.
    title: Ain't No Cure For Love - Leonard Cohen (Jennifer Warnes)
    Post your starting-chart in iRp format.
    Tell us what you"d like to do (in context)

Thanks,
    )BOB

Done. I hope. I submitted it to the Pop/Rock forum from the app on my iPad. It didn't appear, so I tried again. I suppose that means that now two copies will appear there, in which case the moderators are invited to delete whichever one is less helpful.

If it didn't show up, then I have no idea what I did wrong--the app sure looked like it was posting it.
    Last edited by ark; 02-02-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Nope, no joy.
    Try again
    )BOB